Store Bought Rkt Falling Apart! Leahs Please Help

Decorating By Rocketgirl899 Updated 7 Dec 2008 , 3:32am by Rocketgirl899

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:12am
post #1 of 7

okay, so I am babysiting (don't worry kids are now in bed) and my dad calls me to tell me my bowling pin (12-16inchjes) is starting to fall apart. Instead of making the RKT I bought it premade from Sam's club ( i heard some other ccers just do this) In the past I have made RKT and left out almost all the butter and didn't seem to have a problem.

Well i am watching the kids till 11pm EST and have no idea what to do. the cake is for my birthday party tomorrow at 3.. but everyone is expecting something amazing. (The cake will actually be a bowling ball, its a small party)

Is there something I can do to make them stiffer? or should I just go to the store and make my own? I would have made my own, but I had 2 papers (20 and 15 pages) plus a video for school this week as it is finals.

any thoughts would be great, I am going to ice it in BC.

Do you think I need a support dowel in the middle? what size?

I used a 2liter bottle for the initial shape and then added hieght to it.

thanks for the help. I feel so helpless right now. Why did i ever agree to babysitt this week! lol

TIA

Edited:

I know Leah, you said you use the store bought, maybe I didn't compress them enough?

I think if i don't figure something out by the time i go home, im just goign to wrap it in duck tape and make it non edible icon_sad.gif . I still haven't started to fill or ice the balls, did i mention I have never done this kind of cake? lol.

6 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:18am
post #2 of 7

How about melted chocolate? When it hardens up it's pretty firm. You could "glue" the pieces together and wrap them in saran wrap to hold the form until it cools, then unwrap and ice.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:37am
post #3 of 7

thats a pretty good idea.. i think i MIGHT have like 1 cup of candy melts? ergh. thanks icon_smile.gif

other than that i know I dont havge any other chocolate..

thats better than my duck tape idea tho... lol. did i mention my brain is fried from finals and im workin with 3 hours of sleep in the past 3 days icon_sad.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:07am
post #4 of 7

I do use the premade ones, and I squish the He// out of them. They are smooth on the outside they are so compressed. So candy clay or fondant on the outside should hold things together, though.

inspireddecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspireddecorator Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:37am
post #5 of 7

I use store bought RK treats all the time and yes they are not as secure as homemade. I squish them together as much as I can so there is no air. Once I have formed what I need, I paint it with thinned RI. I haven't tried chocolate, but I found that RI works great for me. I usually put on a few coats. And I always cover it in fondant for a clean look. But I have coverd the whole thing in RI as well (i.e: Elmo) and it dried rock hard and was fine.

Good luck. I feel for you.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:09am
post #6 of 7

well, I got home, and my awesome (well for what I can do icon_smile.gif ) bowling pin is a pile of RKT.

I will sqqeeze the bigeebees outta them and try that. I thought I had them pretty compact. I guess not. I also found about a cup of candy melts I will try to use. Thanks.

Thanks icon_smile.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 3:32am
post #7 of 7

ended up compacting more..... and it worked great. I had to make some RKT cause I ran out and i put them in the food processor and left out the butter. Worked great hard as a rock. but i had a tough time shapping it after all was said and done icon_sad.gif so im not happy with the overall shape.

MANY problems with this bowling pin.

too embarrassed to post photos

thanks for the help icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%