Tastey Fondant......an Oxymoron? Or A Real Possibility?

Decorating By JessDesserts Updated 8 Dec 2008 , 3:44am by Rosie2

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:56am
post #1 of 34

for whatever reason, I am not a fan of fondant. I think I first tasted it at a wedding quite some time ago. yuck.

I've tried Wiltons' pre-packaged fondant. double-yuck.

I made it myself from a recipe I found online, it was edible, but truthfully, just for the little piece I had; it wasnt something I wanted more of.

If it possible to made a great tasting fondant, can someone please share with me? I have shyed away from working with fondant because I dont see the point in using something people wont enjoy.

I adore the way people use it, the creativity and the beauty that can be accomplished, always makes me want to learn how to use it. But, for me, taste is the main concern.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance icon_razz.gif

33 replies
FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:14am
post #2 of 34

What recipe did you use? I use and adore Michele Foster's recipe. It's here on CC, just search for foster in the recipes and it'll pop up.. Michele Foster's Delicious Fondant. you can add white chocolate to it and it really is yummy.

Now eating fondant on a cake is something you either like or don't. It's usually a textural thing more than a flavor thing.. unless you are talking about Wilton then it's both. Wilton fondant is nasty.. I can't stand the stuff. I can eat the fondant I make.. but it's not a texture I enjoy with cake. I love using fondant and people love the look. I always put a full layer of BC under my fondant so that people can choose not to eat it and still have an icing on their cake.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:16am
post #3 of 34

Keep trying different kinds and making different recipes. Tweak those recipes with different flavoring additions. Caljava, I believe, will send you free samples. Check the search here on CC for free fondant sample and see if you can come up with the thread with the email address/site to connect to.
There are so many kinds and variations. White Chocolate fondant, Raspberry, Chocolate, Fond-X (my personal favorite in taste), Satin Ice, Pettinice, Fondarrific...They all will work differently too, some are really soft (FondX), some come in precolored, time saving vibrant colors.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:18am
post #4 of 34

you should try this recipe. i made it a few days ago for the first time and it the best tasting fondant i've tasted!!! soo good, i couldn't get enough. it simply white chocolate, and white chocolate is what it taste like.
http://ashleescooking.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-makecolorcut-fondant.html

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:19am
post #5 of 34

It's cocoaoutlet.com that will send you the free samples.

2muchsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2muchsugar Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:23am
post #6 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Now eating fondant on a cake is something you either like or don't. It's usually a textural thing more than a flavor thing.. unless you are talking about Wilton then it's both. Wilton fondant is nasty.. I can't stand the stuff. I can eat the fondant I make.. but it's not a texture I enjoy with cake. I love using fondant and people love the look. I always put a full layer of BC under my fondant so that people can choose not to eat it and still have an icing on their cake.

You hit it on the head. I can eat Michele's fondant recipe until I'm sick. I really enjoy the taste. However, it's kind of a jolt when I taste it with cake. In my opinion, it's just something you never get used to, because you don't have fondant with every piece of cake you have. It's just a disconnect because you only get fondant on specific occasions.

IloveEmmaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IloveEmmaCakes Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:24am
post #7 of 34

OOOO.. try Marshmallow Fondant!! I've never had regular fondant so I don't know gross it really is but ALL of my customers LOVE my mmf that I make. it's yummmmmmy thumbs_up.gif

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:37am
post #8 of 34

I'm in that class that just doesn't care for it, even if it's the best recipes. I didn't like Satinice, though I know it tastes much better than Wilton's and is much easier to work with. I didn't like marshmallow fondant. Can't stand Wilton's.

I haven't played with flavoring it too much, and I think that's my issue. I had someone else's marshmallow fondant, from the same recipe I used. It was made with banana flavoring and it was so yummy. Like banana laffy taffy. I could have eaten it for days. Still can't imagine it on a cake though.

FromScratch Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:01pm
post #9 of 34

I don't care for marshmallow fondant.. it's too sweet and gets rather chewy on you as it dries.. not that all fondants aren't chewy, but MMF is especially so. That and I have never had a batch of MMF turn out the same.. it's a finicky beast.

For commercial brands I like Fondex and Choco Pan.. I haven't tried Massa Grischuna ($$), but I hear it's top notch. I don't care for Satin Ice at all.. it smells like vanilla scented play-doh to me.

FromScratch Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 34

The recipe from Ashley's Blogspot isn't a true fondant.. it's more like stabilized candy clay. Fondant usually has gelatine or a gum in it to give it stretch. I wonder how this fondant works to cover a cake. It'd be great for decos and I am sure it tastes wonderful since it's just white chocolate with sugars added to it.

I might have to try making some to see how it stacks up.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:10pm
post #11 of 34

I'm definitely a SatinIce fan. My customers are amazed with it (in a good way.)

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:27pm
post #12 of 34

I started making Toba Garrett's fondant this year. I really like the taste. It is easy to make, flavor and work with. I made Almond fondant using this recipe for my daughter's wedding cake. It was delicious.

I have continued to use Satin Ice for black and bright red until I take the time to experiment.

-Debbie B. icon_biggrin.gif

FromScratch Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:46pm
post #13 of 34

I tried Toba's fondant and found it to be very sweet. It worked well.. just VERY sweet.

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:25pm
post #14 of 34

thank you so much for all your responses.

I see that I should look at this as a trial and error experiment.

I did try Satin Ice and I wasnt as repulsed as with Wilton, but, I was far from impressed.

I was kind of thinking, if this is something I would teach myself to work with ( because of all the 'pros') I needed to get past the greatest 'con' which is the taste.

I will keep you posed on my progress. I have heard only rave reviews about M. Fosters' fondant, so I will start there.

Any other suggestions, are as always, greatly appreciated.

Thank you again! CC is absolutely THE most helpful site I have encountered.

Off to the world of fondant......

Jessika icon_razz.gif

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:17pm
post #15 of 34

To me the only alternative is to lear how to ice perfectly smooth and do the faux fondant. I can't ever get my BC smooth enough. Until I have money for the KA and the Sugarshack videos, I'll be using the yucky tasting fondant icon_cry.gif

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 11:39pm
post #16 of 34

jkalman,

I did my first for real fondant cake last week-end and used a full layer of BC underneath because I had read your posts previously where you said you did that and it sounded like a great idea. However, I had problems with that, namely, BC oozing out at the bottom while smoothing the fondant and if the least amount of pressure was applied to the fondant it left a smooshed-in area. Are these just problems that you learn to work around?

cathie_shinnick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathie_shinnick Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 1:41am
post #17 of 34

When my MM are melted, I add a drop or two of marshmallow flavor if I am keeping it white or any other color, unless asked for a specific flavor. In the CMMF I add 1/2 to 1 cup sifted cocoa into the melted MM stir well then add it to the PS.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:47am
post #18 of 34

I too am a big Satin Ice fan. I do find that people who don't care for fondant usually don't like the texture as they are not accustomed to chewing icing. My in-laws are from Scotland, and they associate fondant with marzipan, even though they are not the same thing. My MIL won't even try fondant because she doesn't like marzipan and thinks they must be identical.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:10am
post #19 of 34

I have to cast my vote for Michele Foster's as well. It's all I make. I use Satin Ice for red and black because it's such a PITA to get fondant that dark and I use Wilton sometimes for figures that I am certain NO ONE WILL EVER PUT IN THEIR MOUTH because it comes precolored and let's be honest, it dries hard as a rock!

Adding white chocolate or milk chocolate to Michele's makes for a positively yummy fondant and I've gotten great feedback.

FromScratch Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 3:24am
post #20 of 34

I chill my cakes before I put the fondant on. It works great and stops the oozing out the bottom. I use SMBC so there's no other way to do it. icon_biggrin.gif

Bonnell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonnell Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:53am
post #21 of 34
Quote:

I chill my cakes before I put the fondant on. It works great and stops the oozing out the bottom. I use SMBC so there's no other way to do it. icon_biggrin.gif

But you don't refrigerate after the fondant is on, right?

FromScratch Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 5:31pm
post #22 of 34

I have.. if there's a filling in there that needs to be chilled. icon_biggrin.gif It's okat to put fondant in the fridge.. you just need to let the condensationt hat can form on it dry before you touch it again. In the summer months I bring them to temp gradually in an AC'd room and then turn it off and let it come to temp before taking it outside. It's the humidity that can be rough on it.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 7:35pm
post #23 of 34

Fondant doesn't have to be yucky icon_smile.gif I think Wilton has really put a bad rap on fondant in general, because it is so bad. If you make a choc. fondant, like I do, you can roll it SO much thinner because of the oils from the choc. Personally, I think people like icing and thin fondant. It's when they get that thick layer of "chew" that most people have a hard time with. 99.9% of the wedding cakes that go out my door are fondant. They taste it, they order it. Simple as that icon_smile.gif If you have any questions I might be able to help answer, I'm always open to e-mail questions.

Jen icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 3:20am
post #24 of 34

Jennifer's fondant ROCKS!! Buy her DVD.. it's worth it for the recipe alone (not to mention the great fondant advice). icon_biggrin.gif

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 8:36am
post #25 of 34

I've also tried M. Foster's recipe a couple of times and it's always delicious, especially with white chocolate mixed in...the problem I have is food coloring...it changes the flavor slightly...enough to kind of ruin it for me. I've so far made only bright, primary colored cakes, so you can imagine...I can't wait to make a light, pastel colored, or white cake...it'll be wonderful then.

I've also just tried Marshmallow fondant for the first time (because of Macsmom's posts about it), I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. I made it for some practice cookies, not a cake...it's sweet, but it works on a cookie that isn't overly sweet on its own. I have to refine the recipe a bit, but I can already tell that it's going to work great...I was eating it like candy. The key (for me) is plenty of SALT to cancel out the sweetness (as much as possible), and Creme Bouquet flavoring (it's amazing with marshmallow). By the way, I tried CK brand Creme B. and Magic Line's brand....CK's was ok, but Magic Line's was unreal, I absolutely loved it...I'm sorry I only ordered a tiny bottle...I'm getting a huge jug next.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 9:17am
post #26 of 34

Excuse my ignorance, but what is SMBC?? and where do I find the recipe?

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 5:53pm
post #27 of 34

Since we're having problems with posting messages in CC....does anyone see my messages?? lately I can't post comments to any cakes here.... icon_confused.gif

Nobody.....??

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:08pm
post #28 of 34

I don't think you have to like fondant or expect people to like it to justify putting it on a cake. There are a things you can and do looks you can achieve with fondant that is just not possible in BC. Having said that I would never put on Wilton fondant in case people do want to eat it as Wilton fondant is completely inedible. I view fondant more as a protective wrapper for the cake underneath rather than a tasty icing to eat. I put on a decent layer of BC under the fondant for people to eat, and then I have fun decorating with the fondant on the outside. I always tell people it is OK not to eat the fondant if they do not care for it. I never eat it myself.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 6:27pm
post #29 of 34
Quote:

Jennifer's fondant ROCKS!! Buy her DVD.. it's worth it for the recipe alone (not to mention the great fondant advice). icon_biggrin.gif

Second the motion!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

butterfly831915 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butterfly831915 Posted 7 Dec 2008 , 7:30pm
post #30 of 34

I'm also another person who doesn't care for fondant texture. Of course the very first fondant I ever tried was a wedding cake covered thickly in the wilton stuff so I really hated it then. The baker of that cake didn't even use any icing underneath. At least the fondant was so hard it feel right off the cake and we ate it only. The bride wasn't happy with it either. The easy mmf I made wasn't bad but I just have a hard time getting it onto cakes, maybe it just isn't streachy enough or was to stiff. I've only made it once. I wasn't great on covering a round cake with it so I threw it out and just used the bc I org. made. Can anyone help me on the covering my cake with fondant. I watched lots of videos on youtube but they were just to fast for me. Newbie is an understatement when it comes to me. Self taught with no one to help me but the lovely people her on cc. So thankful I found you all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%