Do You Handle Rolled B/c The Way You Would Fondant?

Decorating By diana83 Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 4:31am by GI

diana83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana83 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:01am
post #1 of 6

i'm going to give the christmas ornaments a try but i need to know how to use rb/c how do you smooth it?

Thanks!

5 replies
GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 7:00am
post #2 of 6

Rolled buttercream is a little softer than fondant and tears easily. Handle with care and you should be fine. I've found that rolling in between 2 layers of wax paper was a bit easier and didn't make it dry out. But I was covering a large cake and not tiny pieces. (Rollerskate cake in pix for reference.)

Probably will be easier to cover in small portions. I just don't kow how the "rounded" part will hold up for you. Use your fondant smoother like normal. Or perhaps 2, one in each hand, to pat down. (I only have 1, wished for 2!).

Don't forget to post!
icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 6

I know this is slightly off topic --- but do you make your own r/bc? Or do you buy it? If so, where do you get it from?

Thanks!!

GI Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 6

clstrial - I made my own rolled b/c. I don't believe you can purchase it, unless google on-line. However, it is not really difficult to make at all and since it is softer than fondant, fun too! icon_biggrin.gif It is easy to marble, too.

You would marble it the same as fondant. (Roll a long rope of 1 color..such as white..and then roll a long rope of your other color...such as blue..lay side-by-side, twist them together, form a rope circle like one of those rope-rugs, then roll out flat. Repeat.)

I used this recipe right here on CC:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-Rolled-Buttercream-Fondant-Alternative.html

Let me know if you have any more questions!
icon_biggrin.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:13am
post #5 of 6

I roll my RBC between sheets of parchment paper and then chill it in sheets. I cut out the basic size needed to cover the item out of the chilled sheet, drape it over the item and then gently smooth it with the warmth of my hands. I then dip my hands in some PS or CS (if the RBC is unusually sticky) and "buff" the surface. I love the way the heat of your hands heals any tears!

Rae

GI Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 4:31am
post #6 of 6

Hey blakescakes I never thought to chill it before cutting it. I haven't used RBC in a while...perhaps I'll give it another whirl soon. icon_biggrin.gif

(I haven't uploaded an new pix, either, cuz I'm still on film & not digital.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%