Durable Cake For 3D Recipe Replacement

Decorating By julia01945 Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 11:55pm by sweetsbyl

julia01945 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia01945 Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,
For my friend's son birthday, I made a car cake which was made based on Durable Cake for 3D and Wedding Cakes recipe. I used white cake mix. I really didn't like how it tasted after all. It was good enough to cut and make it look like a car, but the I didn't like how it tasted. I would prefer not to use cake mix in the future and do everything from scratch. Can anyone recommend me a good cake recipe from scratch that can be used for 3d carving?

thanks a lot

Julia

4 replies
Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 5

I'm sorry I don't, but wanted to tell you I use that recipe with a butter box mix, and it's AWESOME!!! Maybe before giving up on it, try different flavors first? Good luck!

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 5

Hmmm... Well, I don't like scratch, lol.

Have you ever tried the WASC recipe? It's nearly scratch, anyway. It tastes great (you don't have to use almond extract) and after so many trials I've found it to be the overall best for taste, durability for carving, and moistness. I do use vanilla liquid coffee creamer for half of the water called for. It's the only recipe I use now, with various flavors, of course. (I don't like DH cake mix - I'm a strict BC girl).
http://www.recipezaar.com/White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Wedding-Cake-69630

You can also try addong 6 oz white chocolate (melted and cooled) to a scratch recipe to make it dense enough for carving.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 5

I'm a scratch girl, so maybe I can help. My favorite chocolate cake recipe is from the food network, but a more durable cake I make to carve is my variation of the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate chocolate cake recipe. It's on the back of the box. The only difference is that I substitute the 1 cup milk for 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/4 cup cream and 1/4 cup milk (or you could use 1/2 cup milk - I've done both) I like the way the sour cream richens the chocolate, and it ads a bit of stability, in my opinion. It is a "crumby" cake, so you'll need a good crumb coat.
Or, the cinnamon vanilla cake recipe from Food Network is also very good. It's moist and has a good texture, but is also fairly sturdy. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/throwdown-with-bobby-flay/cinnamon-vanilla-wedding-cake-with-mexican-hot-chocolate-buttercream-recipe/index.html

HTH

sweetsbyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyl Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 5

Most of my cakes are carved.
For yellow cake, I use ULTIMATE BUTTER CAKE from another site.
For chocolate cake, I use Chocolate Layer Cake from this site.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%