Pregnant And Cakes.....

Decorating By MichaelaRod Updated 6 Dec 2008 , 2:36am by Shelle_75

MichaelaRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichaelaRod Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 15

So I just found out that we are expecting again. I am constantly nauseous and overwhelmingly tired........ but the cake orders are piled up. Every time I think about the cakes I have to do this weekend, I want to throw up! Last time I was pregnant, I was not get rolling in this business. How do you get through it? Any input??????! Only 2 this weekend luckily... but I can't get the motivation to get started.

14 replies
samona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
samona Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:13am
post #2 of 15

Congrats Michaela on your pregnancy! Good luck!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 4:27am
post #3 of 15

Blessings and congratulations to you and your family. Hopefully, the nausea and tiredness will pass quickly for you.

Many, many, years ago when I was pregnant with my kids, I had 9 months of 24 hr "morning" sickness. Just the smell of BC made my stomach lurch. I had to suspend my cake orders during my pregnancies.

I remember when I would go into work at my full time hairdressing job....I didn't want to tell my clients that I was expecting at the beginning so I would be in the middle of a haircut and have to excuse myself to go throw up. icon_redface.gif

These memories make me start wishing that all men could be pregnant just once in their lives! They have no idea how easy they have it.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 3:01pm
post #4 of 15

Well congrats for starters!!!! Yes I definitely remember those days. During my last pregnancy, I ended up putting cake decorating on hold for a bit. I don't recall how I got through the first few months but I do remember being so exhausted when i was done with a cake, that I didn't move for the rest of the day and my back was in such severe pain from standing. I eventually starting sitting down to decorate and it was a little better. the worst is yet to come though, try decorating a cake, like writing on it, with a giant belly in front of you. I've heard that the tilting turntables would make it easier, but I'm always afraid the cake will fall off, that would be my luck. You'd probably be better off slowing down as much as you can, especially towards the end. My hubby has actually been pushing for another baby but I've been putting it off, I'm just started to get my name out and I don't want to mess up my momentum yet.

Best Wishes for a healthy pregnancy!

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 15

Men may not know what it's like to be pregnant but they spend their entire lives carrying around all that equipment. I certainly wouldn't want that!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 4 Dec 2008 , 6:02pm
post #6 of 15

Congrats Michaela on your pregnancy....best wishes!!!

MichaelaRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichaelaRod Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:54am
post #7 of 15

Thank you all for your replies! I didn't think of how difficult piping will be with a belly...... yikes! I do wish my husband could switch spots just for a day! I am really not a complainer and I hate that I can't pretend to feel fine! I am 3/4 through my first cake with nausea... not too bad but my passion for this cake has definitely dwindled due to the nausea...

I am thinking I need to cut back and raise my rates! My time is much more precious now......lol.

Mom2ANC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2ANC Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 4:34am
post #8 of 15

I am so sorry you are feeling sick...I am currently about 32 weeks pregnant and I was sick until around 20 weeks. I hope it is not so long for you. This is my 5th pregnancy, and I was not sick with the others, so I figure it is just payback.

I don't have a real business, and I only maybe do a cake every 3 weeks or so. But the biggest problem I have had is swelling. My hands, wrists, and ankles swell when I do cakes.

Congratulations on your pregnancy and I hope that you feel better soon.

Oh, taking B6 is supposed to help with the nausea.

calicakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calicakequeen Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:03am
post #9 of 15

Congrats!!! I just had a baby myself and I had alot of orders to do during my pregnancy, I just didn't take any orders 3 weeks before my due date, but I did start right after my son was born. I had one to do when he was just 2 weeks old!!! I always felt tired and grouchy, but I just had to push through it!! AND I had 3 OTHER little Daughters to chase after the whole time!!!!

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 5:06am
post #10 of 15

Congrats on the baby!!! I totally understand how you feel! I am 7 months pregnant and for the first few months it took me forever to finish a cake. Well honestly, it still takes my an extra day to finish a cake. Not to mention I need my DH to lift some of them for me. My biggest complaint is my back hurting so bad. My belly is actually really low so piping isn't bad for me.

All I can say is take your time. Do a bit at a time and if you need to say no, say no. They will understand.

I just finished a cake and it feels like I just made 6 cakes in one night. I am only doing a cake for Christmas, my nieces new years bday cake and then cupcakes for my baby shower at the end of Jan. Then I am done.

I am actually looking forward to the break. I booked a wedding cake for next July and I think I might take a break for that long.

You will do great!!! Congrats again! Take care of yourself.

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 6:45pm
post #11 of 15

Congratulations on your blessing!

Please take your time and more importantly take it easy. I wasn't really given a choice when I was pregnant with my twins. I was put on bedrest at 4 months because I was overdoing and went into labor. I scared me so much when I saw my 6'4", 250 lb, Army soldier of a husband crying because my doctor said I may lose them, so I was very obedient when the doctor told me to the bathroom and back to bed only!

At 6 1/2 months I was admitted to the hospital for a month and a half of bed rest and I delivered Samuel and Abigail at 36 weeks to the day (full term for twin pregnancies). Most people with common sense will understand if you cut back or stop altogether, if they don't who cares...your baby and your comfort are more important than a cake that will be eaten in a few hours.

God bless you, your family and your baby!

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:09pm
post #12 of 15

i pretty much caked up until Noah was born. I took a short break after his birth and began PTing it around his 3 weeks.. but 3 months I was back at it full time. I have to tell you this though, I remember a lot of time I could have and should have spent with him. I am officially a SAHM with a biz being run out of my detached garage... so he was in a play-yard a good bit of the time, I regret that now that his 2nd birthday is fast approaching. Just do what you can and don't overdo it. These are days you will never get back, caking can wait and grow as you do icon_smile.gif Congratulations on your new addition and good luck!

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:09am
post #13 of 15

Congratulations!! Babies are such a joy!

My advice, raise your prices and learn to say no. It was the hardest thing I ever did and I even lost a friend over it but when I got pregnant I was making 2 or 3 cakes a week. At 40, it was a tough pregnancy and I didn't have a choice but to say no. I probably did 4 cakes during my whole pregnancy and I wasn't sorry.

Some things are more important, your health and your baby's health. You don't need stress during this time. I know how hard it is to say no but you CAN do it. icon_smile.gif

tp122579 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tp122579 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:29am
post #14 of 15

CONGRATS ON YOUR BLESSING,I KNOW FIRST HANDWHAT YOU ARE TAKLING ABOUT ,I JUST HAD MY SON JEREMIAH ON AUG.15 AND I WAS SICK IT SEEM TO BE THE WHOLE PREGNANCY FOR ME CAKE DECORATING WENT UOT THE WINDOW THE WHOLE TIME I WAS PREGNANT.SO I JUST STARTED BACK UP FOR THANKSGIVNG AND HAD 30 CAKE ORDERS IT WAS VERY HARD FOR ME TO GET BACK IN THE SWING OF THING TRYING TO WORK AROUND THE BABY WHO IS GOING ON 4MONTHS.SO IF YOUR CLIENTS REALLY LOVE YOUR CAKES THEY WILL COME BACK AFTER YOU HAVE YOUR BABY.
HOPE YOU FELL BETTER
TAMMI

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 6 Dec 2008 , 2:36am
post #15 of 15

I don't have any advice for you, just wanted to say I know exactly how you feel. I had our third baby five months ago, and during that whole pregnancy I couldn't even LOOK at my mixer without throwing up. I didn't make a cake for nine months.

Here's hoping for a healthy, happy pregnancy for Momma & baby!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%