Meringue Bc Confusion

Decorating By handymama Updated 3 Dec 2008 , 3:55pm by handymama

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 8

Yesterday I sampled a cake that I believe was iced in a meringue BC. The texture/taste was very light, not at all sweet--in fact not sweet enough--left a somewhat waxy feel in the roof of my mouth and was without flavor. Although I love the workability of sugarshack's recipe, it seems overpoweringly sweet and somewhat heavy to me so I've been in search of a variation and thought maybe the meringues were a way to go. However, they also seem temperamental. I'm sure flavorings can be added to make them more appealing, but:

Must the iced cake be refrigerated?
If so, how long can it safely sit out?
Does meringue BC fail in warm temperatures?
Is smoothing a problem?
Does it work well under fondant?
What about piping with it?
Swiss and Italian BC recipes seem the same. Are there important differences?
If you make a white cake and ice it with IMBC or SMBC what in the world do you do with all of those egg yolks?!?!

TIA

7 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 8

I only use meringue buttercreams. I refrigerate all of my cakes, so I really don't know about how long they can sit out (although on the day of the event, obviously, they sit out for several hours safely). I have had no major issues in warm temps, but 99.9% of my cakes are fondant covered, so I've never had to worry about dropping buttercream decor in the heat. I've had no problems piping borders, basketweave, swiss dots and other simple designs with either MBC, but again, I really don't decorate in BC so I don't know how it handle for flowers and such. It smooths BEAUTIFULLY! SMBC and IMBC are identical in flavor and the way they handle, The difference is in technique. Also, the Italian meringue buttercream is slightly more stable than the swiss (simply because an Italian meringue is more stable than a swiss meringue to start). As a pastry chef, I always have a use for egg yolks, but ice cream and creme brulee are two things that come to mind for extra yolks!

handymama Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks--I'm encouraged to give it a try.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:22pm
post #4 of 8

I use IMBC exclusivly with all of my cakes so I will try to answer your questions with my experience with it.

Must the iced cake be refrigerated? If so, how long can it safely sit out?
I refrigerate my cakes but it can sit out safely(depending on your filling) for several hours and even overnight.

Does meringue BC fail in warm temperatures?
It can withstand temp. up to 75-80 degrees. In humid weather it weaps. I experienced this last summer for the first time. It was a wedding cake and it was hot and humid out (about 80deg). I turned on the air, got to fans out to gently blow on my cake and help evaporate the condensation.

Is smoothing a problem?
It smooth great and I suggest that you smooth it while it's fresh. I use a bench scraper and my large spatula.

Does it work well under fondant?
Yes, I frost and them pop it in the frig. to let the IMBC harden and them place the fondant on.

What about piping with it?
It is soft so piping can be challenging. If it gets warm from your hands I place it in the frig. for a little bit. Too long and it will be hard...like butter gets when it's in the frig.

Swiss and Italian BC recipes seem the same. Are there important differences?
I have found the only difference is the cooking method. I have read over and over that IMBC is more stable than Swiss.

If you make a white cake and ice it with IMBC or SMBC what in the world do you do with all of those egg yolks?!?!
No yolks left here. I use dried pasterized egg whites. They cost less and I eliminate the worries of illness from eggs.

If your BC is not sweet enough then you can add more sugar. I start off with 2 1/4 cups of sugar in my syrup and I add 1/3 cup into my meringue. For vanilla IMBC I use clear vanilla extract (1/4 cup per reciepe) and it's the perfect sweetness.

IMBC also tastes wonderful with fruit purees, chocolates, hazlenut, liquors...anything! I love strawberry puree in mine!

handymama Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:25pm
post #5 of 8

Lady--what is your favorite recipe, and did you really mean 1/4 cup vanilla per recipe?

ladyonzlake Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:29pm
post #6 of 8

More tips:

IMBC is better served at room temp. when it's soft so I let my clients know to keep the cake out of the frig. if it's the same day of the party. I also try to time my wedding cakes so that I know the cake will be at room temp. for them when served.

I prefer unsalted butter as I can taste the salt if I use salted butter. Play with your recipe for taste. I reduced my butter and increased the sugar in my recipe.

ladyonzlake Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:32pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, 1/4 cup per recipe. My recipe makes about 8-10 cups. I've made it in my Artesian KA but you have to watch it cuz it's really very full. It's perfectly made in my KA Pro which is a 6 quart mixer.

My recipe is similar to the WBH but I tweaked it a bit.

handymama Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 8

Ever make it in a 20 qt. mixer?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%