Sweet Butter...sweet? Need Clarification

Decorating By sweetcravings Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 7:01pm by sweetcravings

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 4

I was visiting a costco in michigan and noticed they sold butter and really cheap compared to what i pay at home. The only thing that confused me is that the sign said, ' sweet butter"...is that the same as 'butter, butter? icon_redface.gif I was sooo tempted to fill my cart up but didn't because i didn't know if it was a sweetened butter and then i couldn't use that for my baking. I generally use non salted butter for baking. Please clarify this for me..is it just a fancy name for butter?

suz

3 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 4

sweet butter = no salted butter

Lady_Phoenix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lady_Phoenix Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 4

Sweet butter is simply made with sweet, as opposed to sour cream. All butter is salted unless it specifically says unsalted, in which case it has absolutely no salt. Unsalted is preferred in baking so the baker has control over the salt content, but is more perishable (salt is a preservative). Whipped butter has air beaten into it, which makes it easier to spread when cold.

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks ladies...good to know. The 'sweet' was throwing me off. I'm glad it's the same thing because i love the price. I always buy unsalted butter for baking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%