How To Make The Top Of A Box Cake???????????????

Decorating By abed Updated 2 Dec 2008 , 2:30pm by eatdessert1st

abed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abed Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 11

Does anyone know how to make the top of a square box cake, covered in fondant????, I've seen 2 different types, one where you just put a 2 inch ribbon around it, don't like this one. And another, where you put fondant on top of it, but how do you do the edges???

10 replies
Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 11:56pm
post #2 of 11

I've only done one, and I'll try posting it here, but if it doesn't work, you can see it in my photos. It's the pink one "pure romance." If thats the one you like, I made the very top out of rice krispies. When it dried, I covered it in royal to get more of a smooth appearance and to firm it up.
Then I simply covered it as I would a square cake and brought the fondant around underneath about an inch because the roses were going to fill it in, so it wouldn't show any more than that.
I hope this helps?
LL

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:03am
post #3 of 11

Look for a thread called "my hatbox instructions" I think it's by Fairytale. She gives a great description of how to do this technique.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:19am
post #4 of 11

Are you wanting to make the open lid box top or the closed lid box top? I have written instructions I can email you for the open box top.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:20am
post #5 of 11

My lid is cake covered in fondant

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:35am
post #6 of 11

I tried searching for "my hatbox instructions" but couldn't find it. Does anyone have a link to this?

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:35am
post #7 of 11

I tried searching for "my hatbox instructions" but couldn't find it. Does anyone have a link to this?

forthwife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forthwife Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 4:42am
post #8 of 11

ladyonzlake: Would you please PM me the instructions for your open box cake? I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:01am
post #9 of 11

i just looked at fairytales instructions again.. you click on forum.. then member list..... type in fairytale... then click on all of fairytales posts... not pictures... there it is.. simple to read and understand.. i made one in sept. for a cake show... i hadn,t read her instructions. but that is how i did it too. it was for a lingerie cake. hth

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:04am
post #10 of 11

also, sharon from sharonssugarshack will tell you how she does hers if you p/m her.. i did and she graciously answered me quickly... she covers her pan with gumpaste.. i tried that .. didn,t work for me then.. but i will try that again... she will have new dvd on that coming out soon. can,t wait.. hth she has a beautiful lingerie box on her site.. red and black.. so beautiful.. and real looking...

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 2:30pm
post #11 of 11

Here's the link to the hatbox instructions:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-215781-0.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%