Coloring Fondant Silver

Decorating By mluis03 Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 10:15pm by mluis03

mluis03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mluis03 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 18

I would like to know what would be the best way to color Choco-pan Fondant Silver?

17 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:33pm
post #2 of 18

airbrush, several thin coats

Boofycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Boofycakes Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 18

If you don't have an airbrush, try coloring your fondant a light grey and then brush it with a few layers of silver luster dust. I don't have an airbrush and this works just fine for me icon_smile.gif

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:44pm
post #4 of 18

You also can mix clear alcohol with lustre dust and paint on the fondant. icon_biggrin.gif

Boofycakes Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 18

Bashini, i have found that when i paint on luster dust with alcohol that while the color is richer, on large sufaces it looks streaky. thats why i like to brush it on, I feel it has a more even color. is there a way you recommend to paint it on with out the streaks? I'd love to know! because I do love the richer color of painting it.

Daisys_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Daisys_Cakes Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 12:02am
post #6 of 18

My local cake shop sells a silver metallic luster dust that although it is more expensive than regular luster dust gives a strong silver color with out even coloring the fondant underneath. If you like I will look and tell you the specific name of the product.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1291150.html

HTH!

Boofycakes Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 5:41am
post #7 of 18

oooh, that is some nice luster dust! and btw, cute cake! icon_smile.gif

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 9:47am
post #8 of 18

I just did a wedding cake that was gold and silver. I used NuSilver, mixed it with alcohol, and brushed it on. I also bought the silver for airbrush the airbrush machine, and painted it on in several coats. Worked fine. I also used the gold airbrush and painted it on, and it worked well too.

bashini Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 10:51am
post #9 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofycakes

Bashini, i have found that when i paint on luster dust with alcohol that while the color is richer, on large sufaces it looks streaky. thats why i like to brush it on, I feel it has a more even color. is there a way you recommend to paint it on with out the streaks? I'd love to know! because I do love the richer color of painting it.

You might have to do few coats. Do the first one, leave it to dry completely and then do the next one. But I like Confectioner's glaze more than the alcohol. When I mix the glaze and the lustre dust, the consistancy is a bit thicker than the mixture you get from alcohol. I very rarely use two coats when I use glaze.

HT. icon_smile.gif

Boofycakes Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 3:16pm
post #10 of 18

Awesome, thanks bashini! icon_smile.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 3:33pm
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy1993

My local cake shop sells a silver metallic luster dust that although it is more expensive than regular luster dust gives a strong silver color with out even coloring the fondant underneath. If you like I will look and tell you the specific name of the product.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo-1291150.html

HTH!

Your oclor looks great, I would love to know the name of the product you used. This may be a silly question, but I haven't ever used silver before... Does it change the taste at all?

bashini Posted 2 Dec 2008 , 10:40pm
post #12 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boofycakes

Awesome, thanks bashini! icon_smile.gif

Your welcome! icon_biggrin.gif

Daisys_Cakes Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 2:23am
post #13 of 18

No it did not change the taste at all. Unfortunately, all it says on the bottle is: #C410 Non-Toxic Silver Dust and the place I bought it is a local cake shop so I can't tell you where to buy it. I will try to remember to ask next time I go and post the brand name, but in the mean time here is a picture of the bottle.

BTW, the bottle says it is for highlight use only but the lady at the shop said that she called the company and they said that was ok to cover a cake with it.
LL

Daisys_Cakes Posted 3 Dec 2008 , 2:26am
post #14 of 18

Also the product costs $8.99 and although its says to use vodka you can dry brush it on too.

HTH!

mluis03 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:55am
post #15 of 18

Thank you all for all your replies. I just have one more question, which alcohol will work best and what type of brush will i use?

bashini Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 2:26pm
post #16 of 18

Hi, I always use Vodka and a small brush. One that doesn't have too much bristtles. icon_smile.gif

mluis03 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:06pm
post #17 of 18

Thank you very much. My cake mission starts this week.

mluis03 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 10:15pm
post #18 of 18

how much vodka would I use? I am covering a Dome with about a 9in dia.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%