Fondant Bows

Decorating By paulstonia Updated 1 Dec 2008 , 3:42am by paulstonia

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 6

I have a cake I'm making for a friend and it has bows with rhinstone buttons in the center ( she found a cake on here that she liked and wants the same bows) I was just wondering if I should attach the buttons while the fondant is soft, kind of insert the back into the fondant a little, or try to attach them after it is dry with some glue or royal icing. I don't know if they will be to heavy to attach that way. I sent a pm to the person who made the cake a few days ago to see how she attached them, but haven't heard back yet. Thanks in advance for any advice...

5 replies
paulstonia Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 11:23pm
post #2 of 6

Nobody has an idea about this?

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 6

Do you have time to make a bow or two and try both ideas? If not, I would attach after it is dry. i don't really do much fondant work but thats how I would do it. Mix in some gumpaste and the bows will dry harder, that's what I have read anyways! icon_lol.gif

Sorry I can't be more help.

Good Luck

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 6

I would make the bows out of 50/50 gumpaste to fondant so that it has a little more stability.
I would attach the buttom while the fondant is still wet to avoid breakage. Anytime you try to add something and get it to stay like that it tends to make it crack. Its better if you can do it before hand and let it dry. Or even make the impression into the fondant so that you wont have any cracking.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 1:41am
post #5 of 6

I was thinking the same thing. I just made bow loops last night out of 50/50 fondant/gumpaste. I didn't attempt to attach anything to the loops, but knowing how I work, I would put them on while the fondant was still pliable. I have a tendency to "over glue" things, and I would worry that if I let the bow loops dry and then used gum glue to attach something to them, I would end up making the dried loops all gummy where I put the glue. I'd rather do that while the loops are still flexible and then the gum glue has lots of time to dry on there while the loops themselves dry. Just my 2 cents.

paulstonia Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 3:42am
post #6 of 6

Thanks everyone. I'm giving myself plenty of time, don't need them til next weekend. I was already going to use 50/50 so they would dry faster.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%