Cheap Or Free Cake Decorating/baking Classes?

Decorating By Baking_Booth Updated 29 Nov 2008 , 10:41pm by bobwonderbuns

Baking_Booth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking_Booth Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 8

Does anyone know about or know where I can find info regarding cheap or free classes in my area? Just an idea! Thanks!

7 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 8

The Wilton classes at Michael's are generally pretty inexpensive, and they run specials periodically where the class is either free or $10 if you buy the supplies at that store.

Baking_Booth Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 8

Cool thanks!! icon_smile.gif

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 8

I'm completely self taught. I got the books for 5.00 each and just practiced from the pictures and directions on the pages.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 8

Michael's classes are $35 but they runn monthly promotions. In 2008 the classes were either $21 (40% off) or $17.50 (50% off). They don't do the buy the kit get the class free or the buy the class get the kit for a penny. But still $21 or $17.50 is still pretty cheap for 4 two hour classes.

At Michaels we do have a Bounce In coupon that is another $5 off the C1. You can get these when the WMI is doing a demo. The next store wide scheduled demo is in Jan. But you can always contact the store and talk to the instuctor to see if she is doing a Demo in Dec or if she has a Bounce In Coupon.

The WMI will also give you Bounce Back coupons for $5 off the next courses as well.

Now there are supplies you will want or need. There are 7 tips that are used in course one along with your flower nail and practice board. Some things can be done with out, but there are some things that I see as a must have. If you already have some cake decorating supplies you may be able to save some money there. Also don't forget to shop with coupons. If you haven't gone to Michaels.com and registered on their site I would. They have been having various extra coupons they email to you.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 9:32pm
post #6 of 8

Both Michaels and AC Moore have very inexpensive cake courses. That's where I started. Good luck. If you live near a large city you can do an internet search for classes, but they are probably a lot more money.

Baking_Booth Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 10:06pm
post #7 of 8

I am new to this but I do have some great decorating stuff to help me get started. (Thanks to my DFH-Darling Future Hubby icon_lol.gif who's super supportive!). The cakes I've done so far have been on a whim (check 'em out) and what I know so far has been self-taught but it would be nice to be more polished plus there are sooooo many awesome things on CC that I want to learn to do! Maybe I can meet some fellow "Cake Dorks" as DFH playingly calls us. lol.
Thanks for the quick replies!!!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 8

Also YouTube has many, many tutorials by some very talented cake artists. It's something else to consider.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%