Need Help With Groom's Cake...should've Said No....

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 5 Dec 2008 , 1:37am by akgirl10

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 4:56pm
post #1 of 23

Hi All,

I need some help in figuring out how to make a groom's cake in this shape (ignore script at bottom). I kind of got suckered into it. It needs to feed 50. Looking at it, I am afraid of making the angles and points sharp enough-they are pretty deep/sharp angles. So this makes me think that it will be hard to cover in fondant.

My DH thinks I need to make it in pieces-cut long rectangles out and piece them together like a puzzle. I think to cover it, I need to do the top, and then roll out a long piece and go around the outside, and cover up the seam with a white border....

Can anyone help?
LL

22 replies
bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 23

To feed 50, I'd probably just cut the outside angles of the design and color flow the inside design instead of cutting it into rectangles.

terrier Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrier Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 23

That is a tough one! I like the look of it in the pic... it would look great as a sheet cake with the picture on top...just like the pic you attached. But I guess they want it in that shape.
Sorry no help but I can give it a bump!

Cheers,
Ally

summernoelle Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:22pm
post #4 of 23

Yeah, that won't work because she wants it in the actual shape. I can't make a round or sheet cake with the design on top....
Thank you for the bump and advice!

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 5:49pm
post #5 of 23

What about making a full sheet cake, making the design to fill up the cake as much as possible, and then cutting it out along the design? You can make the points and areas as sharp as necessary. Then slather on your icing, cover with fondant. You can even make the star and the letters in red-sharp looking fondant.

HTH! icon_smile.gif

cheeseball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheeseball Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 6:23pm
post #6 of 23

I think your DH might be correct...after pondering this for a few, it seems like cutting strips from sheet cake would work. I think if you cut the shape in its entirety out of a sheet or square it would have to be huge to get the servings you'd need and then you'd have a ton of scraps. I'd have the design blown up into a template the size you think will feed 50, trace outside of the template onto your serving board so that you can follow those lines when you put it together and your lines stay sharp. And yeah, to get the sharp edges, I'd do strips of fondant. Good luck!

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 6:32pm
post #7 of 23

I am sorry..I You might have to make a really big cake to feed that many people. Even cutting in strips it will be a mess. I would cut around and do the top. as the shape. They would have to pay me a lot of money to cut this like the actual shape and feed that many people.
Edna icon_redface.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 23

small version based on 11x15 sheet

large version based on 12x18 sheet.

as usual -- gray = cake balls (supplied at extra charge of course)

-----
make two sheets, cut both, fill and stack for full 4" height. I'd skewer horizontally at joints for extra safety.
-----

charge for FULL cost of all servings of cake (ie -- 2- 12x18 sheets stacked yield 108 1x2x4 standard wedding servings.)

thus at say $3/serving this is a $324 cake AT LEAST even tho it will serve only about 1/2 that due to loss from all the scraps.

This factors in the PITA factor from all the cutting and arranging and getting a HUGH custom board to hold the thing.

HTH
LL
LL

cheeseball Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 8:45pm
post #9 of 23

duuude...as usual, our resident cake savant to the rescue icon_lol.gif Doug, I'm sure you've answered this many times before, but what program do you use to break down images like that??

Doug Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 8:47pm
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseball

duuude...as usual, our resident cake savant to the rescue icon_lol.gif Doug, I'm sure you've answered this many times before, but what program do you use to break down images like that??

Have MS Publisher --- will trace --- and then rearrange like crazy until it all fits (sort of)

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 8:54pm
post #11 of 23

That is too cool, Doug.

cheeseball Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 9:01pm
post #12 of 23

Very cool, thanks! I'll try that (or mebbe I'll do the sensible thing and come straight to you in the first place icon_wink.gif)

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 9:45pm
post #13 of 23

Doug, you truely have done it again. What a wonderful solution. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Doug Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 10:16pm
post #14 of 23

new improved 12x18 version

(it was annoying me how many pieces there were)
LL

summernoelle Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 1:42am
post #15 of 23

Holy cow! Doug!!!!! How awesome are you? I've been out all day, thinking that I wouldn't get any more responses, and I get this AMAZING diagram!!! Thank you!!!!

Here's the kicker-Only charge $245 for everything, even delivery. Oops. Ack.

OMG, I can't even wait to show this to my DH. You save the day!!!

So, to piece them together, do I just attach with icing at the joints? Or do they need to be...skewered somehow?

Doug Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 2:20am
post #16 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

So, to piece them together, do I just attach with icing at the joints? Or do they need to be...skewered somehow?

I'd do both just to be safe.

glad to help

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Nov 2008 , 6:32am
post #17 of 23

Uhm..i didn't see the part..ignore the script!..lol

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 8:51am
post #18 of 23

Your so brave ! I could have done the outside, and told them the inside star design had to be black fondnat, icing, colorflow...something! Great we have a whiz like Doug icon_lol.gif
Let us know when the final photo has been posted !!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:18pm
post #19 of 23

Yeah, Doug takes the cake on this one. You da bomb!

I saw an idea on Amazing Cakes that might be a factor for you--they were making stacked ring boxes and they covered with fondant and got the usual rounded edges on everything but they applied dried flat pieces of fondant that made the nice crisp corners.

I mean even if you just placed one on top to get the edges.

So just a crisp corner thought for yah.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Dec 2008 , 2:21pm
post #20 of 23

Oh and if you decide to incorporate this idea, add cornstarch to the fondant--it drieth like the Sahara.

Doug Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:03am
post #21 of 23

worked it over one more time to eliminate the need to flip piece over.

so, here's the final version (which is also in the templates gallery)

remember -- for this one, start with a 12x18 sheet.
LL

Tita9499 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tita9499 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:14am
post #22 of 23

Doug, you've just acheived super star status with that one!

akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 5 Dec 2008 , 1:37am
post #23 of 23

I remember that show, the dried fondant looked really crisp and nice. I would def. do that for the top part of the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%