How Many Layers In A Tiered Cake?

Decorating By dezzib27 Updated 28 Nov 2008 , 12:52am by leah_s

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 6:05am
post #1 of 7

I am doing a wedding cake this weekend and I am curious to know how many layers you make each of your tiers. I am making a 3 tier cake, 6, 8, 10 and it has to make an hour drive to the destination. I normally make two cakes with filling in the middle for my party cakes but I want more filling and frosting for the wedding cake. Will it be too much if I torte the two cakes to make 3 layers? So each tier will have 3 layers of cake, and be 3 tiers tall. Is this too much? Any suggestions?

6 replies
Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 7:28am
post #2 of 7

You want to not put quite as much filling as when you don't torte or you will have a very unstable cake.

HTH

Judi

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 7

Hi, I always do 3 layers. I don't think its too much at all! icon_biggrin.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 12:56pm
post #4 of 7

I either do 2x2in deep layers cut into 2 pieces each, so I end up with a cake that has 4 layers cake and 3 filling and is anywhere from 5-6in tall by the time I'm finished, OR I bake 3in deep cakes and cut those into 3 layers with 2 layers of filling which results in a tier approx 4in deep. Depends on the look you are going for!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 1:12pm
post #5 of 7

Your filling should be proportionate to the cake layer. Example, I usually use 2 layers of cake with one layer of filling. Each cake is 2" tall......My filling is about 1/4" thick.

So if I torted, my cakes would be 1" tall, so I'd want to divide my filling between those layers and make it about 1/8" thick. If the cake is half as thick, then my filling should be half as thick.

So if you torte, don't use the same amount of filling between the layers as you would with a non-torted cake. The cake would have a greater tendency to slide.

dezzib27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dezzib27 Posted 27 Nov 2008 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 7

You have answered my questions perfectly!!! Thanks! 3 layers of filling it is, just less per layer. You Rock!!!!

THANKS!!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 28 Nov 2008 , 12:52am
post #7 of 7

I always torte, so that each tier has four layers of cake and three of filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%