Dulce De Leche???

Baking By peacenique Updated 29 Nov 2008 , 7:11am by miny

peacenique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacenique Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 3

I'm not sure if this is the right area of the forum to ask this question...

I've been asked to make a cake for a 'retirement/moving to Mexico' cake. Rather than vanilla/vanilla, as they thought might be the way to go... I'd like to approach the girl in charge about trying to make it a more Mexican flavoured cake.

Has anyone made a cake using dulse de leche? I'm finding recipes for a cake that is poked; the dulce de leche poured over top while still warm; and THEN cooled. I'm not sure if I can do that and still carve/sculpt the cake into the Mexican dude wearing the sombrero. It's a sheet cake she's requested. If I was to do that method, I'm guessing splitting and filling the cake will be unnecessary. OR should I make a cake - split it and fill it with a dulce de leche? I need to be able to ice it, as the dude is mostly made by colouring in the "picture" of him. You know, the sombrero, the mustache, eyes... etc.

Has anyone done anything similar? Any ideas/tips/advice?

Oh, and another thing: would it be more 'authentic' to *slightly* flavour the cake or icing with cinnamon, or almond, or leave it vanilla?

I don't have to make this masterpiece *ahem* till the 22nd of December.

Thanks in advance,
Maija

2 replies
BitsnBites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BitsnBites Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 4:38pm
post #2 of 3

Hi. The cake you are talking about is called 3 leches. There is a post today from someone asking about it. And I gave her my recipe. I'm from mexico. Honestly I wouldn't recommend this cake for what you are going to do.

It is easier to just make a vanilla cake and put DdeL in between layers. But don't use President's choice DdeL, it is too liquid. Here's is my secret... Buy a can or 2 of condensed milk (depnding on how much you want to use). Take the label off and put the cans in a covered saucepan and cover them with water. Boil them for about 4 hours. Don't worry, they won't explode or anything. After that, let them cool and open them and voilà! Dulce de Leche. This way when the cake is cut, de DdeL won't spill out making a mess.

Since DdeL is soooo sweet, don't make the cake or icing to sweet either. I think regular whipped cream would be a good balance to the DdeL.

Hope this helps. Good Luck

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 29 Nov 2008 , 7:11am
post #3 of 3

meegh, do you pock the can before boiling it or you boil it completely closed? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%