Tiramisu Flavor Cake, Not Tiramisu

Decorating By momma28 Updated 26 Nov 2008 , 3:13am by Juds2323

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 15

Ok I want to make a cake with the flavors of a traditional tiramisu but in a regular "cake" which can be layered, frosted, decorated, stacked.

My cousin just got engaged and he and his bride to be love tiramisu. I am making them an engagement cake, but need it to basically be a small wedding cake and decorated.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. icon_biggrin.gif

14 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 15

Any basic spongecake recipe, with a coffee flavored syrup, and filling with a tiramisu cream (mascarpone) filling (just use a standard tiramisu recipe for the filling).

Lenette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenette Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 15

I did this for a wedding using my regular vanilla cake, coffee syrup with sweetened mascarpone cheese. I spread the cheese as the filling, grated chocolate on top and used SMBC on the outside of the cake.

Just be sure not to get the cake too wet or it will fall apart., I just brushed it on lightly.

HTH!

icon_smile.gif

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:08pm
post #4 of 15

i haven't made this yet but here is a recipe for tiramisu filling:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7021-Tiramisu-filling.html

I would do sponge cake and make a coffee syrup and brush it on the cakes before filling.

HTH

good luck

momma28 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

Any basic spongecake recipe, with a coffee flavored syrup, and filling with a tiramisu cream (mascarpone) filling (just use a standard tiramisu recipe for the filling).

Are you saying to make a simple syrup with coffee in place of the water ? Or is there a specific coffee syrup that is premade that you use?

momma28 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:16pm
post #6 of 15

also what flavor of buttercream would you use? cream cheese? I would probably use a butter based crusting buttercream (not a fan of shortening)

lindambc Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:23pm
post #7 of 15

You can make a simple syrup and flavor it or you can cheat like I do sometimes and get coffee flavored Torani syrup. Or you can even get coffee flavored liqueur, I like the Starbucks ones but they are a spendy.

As for the frosting, you can do a buttercream or you can use Rich's bettercream if you can get it. Bettercream isn't as sweet and would do well with the overall tiramisu flavor.

HTH

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:31pm
post #8 of 15

i offer tiramisu cake...i used my vanilla cake drizzled with a coffee-laced simple syrup, smbc cream cheese filling, dusted with cocoa and chocolate shavings.

justme50 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justme50 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:34pm
post #9 of 15

I made the recipe below a few weeks ago, passed out some samples and I am absolutely swamped now making it for Thanksgiving with orders already in for Christmas. It is the best tiramisu cake I've ever tried. I did follow the suggestions in the comments to increase any coffee or flavorings.

I replaced the liquer with Torani syrup using an mix of equal parts coffee to syrup and rather than use real whipped cream I used Pastry Pride. I also make 2 layers coffee and 1 white.

This is just an amazingly good cake and very pretty as well!

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tiramisu-Layer-Cake/Detail.aspx

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:36pm
post #10 of 15

I would make simple syrup and flavor it with coffee extract (Trablit is the BEST!) or coffee liqueur... or even some very strong coffee would work.

momma28 Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 8:35pm
post #11 of 15

what is torani syrup and where do I get it? The starbucks liqueur, can you get it at the grocery store (nearest starbucks is 55 minutes away) and what is bettercream? Is it shortening based (I really prefer butter, dont like the mouth feel of shortening) Sorry for so many questions, I feel a bit off my game today, kids have been sick all week icon_confused.gif

MACYZMOM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACYZMOM Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 8:52pm
post #12 of 15

i don't know if this helps at all but they came out with a coffee creamer in that flavor, i used it to make filling for a cake

lindambc Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 1:40am
post #13 of 15

Torani syrups are the flavored syrups coffee places use to flavor their specialty coffee drinks. I can get a few flavors at my grocery store. Here is the website for them also:

http://www.torani.com/

The starbucks liquere can be found at grocery stores in the alcoholic beverage sections or some liquer stores have it.

Bettercream is the whipped cream icing. I buy mine at Smart and Final sometimes

http://www.richs.com/product_info.cfm?catid=6159

Also, there is Pastry Pride Whipped topping. I really like this. I use for frosting and also I had puddings to it to make easy mousses.
I can find this at Smart and Final by the ice cream and also here is a link for costco but I think Sam's Club has it too.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11070297&whse=BD_827&topnav=bdoff&cat=11991&hierPath=11122*11275*11991*&lang=en-US

HTH

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 25 Nov 2008 , 9:58pm
post #14 of 15

I posted the above recipe awhile back. It has a coffee liqueur syrup you brush lightly on the layers, add the mascarpone cream, shaved/grated chocolate, then another cake layer. Just don't soak the cake w/ the syrup and it works great. I use a basic dense vanilla cake as the base.
HTH,
Mel Mc.

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 26 Nov 2008 , 3:13am
post #15 of 15

I haven't tried this one yet but here is a thread.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-602559.html

Judi

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%