Fondant Tears When Cutting

Decorating By vtjilly Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 4:43pm by vtjilly

vtjilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vtjilly Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:32pm
post #1 of 8

Whenever I try to cut something out in fondant that isn't a straight line where I can use a pizza cutter type wheel, it always tears and the edges aren't smooth. In addition, the knife pulls the fondant distorting my shape! I usually cut shapes out with a zacto knife and I've tried dipping it in confectionary sugar, putting the knife in hot water, etc. and I have had no luck. Anyone have a solution to this?

7 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:35pm
post #2 of 8

That happens to me sometimes, but it's usually when I'm cutting too fast. If I slow down a bit, that seems to take care of it.

Also, sometimes if I'm really having a tough time I use an up and down method, making a lot of single cuts in a row..... kind of like sawing, I guess. The edges aren't smooth, but the fondant doesn't tear and I can smooth the edge once my shape is cut out.

muddpuppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
muddpuppy Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:41pm
post #3 of 8

I like to use a pizza wheel or a small pastry wheel if I can. icon_smile.gif

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:49pm
post #4 of 8

It also helps to use a nice new blade! I try to get as much use of them as possible, but if your are doing something really precise with alot of corners and turns it helps to put a new blade in.

vtjilly Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for the tips. I do use a new zacto blade...it just appears that the fondant "grabs" or sticks to the knife when I'm cutting it causing it to tear or pull.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 3:17pm
post #6 of 8

sounds like maybe your fondant is too thick. Are youusing a pasta machine to roll it out?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 8

I know, I hate that. I've tried greasing my exacto blade with shortening but it doesn't help a great deal. I end up making a cut, wiping off the fondant that got stuck, apply grease, repeat.

vtjilly Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 4:43pm
post #8 of 8

No, the pasta machine is on my Christmas list icon_wink.gif

I'll try rolling it out thinner. Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%