What Am I Doing Wrong?? Long Sorry

Decorating By jenlg Updated 21 Nov 2008 , 4:32am by kokopuff

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:30am
post #1 of 10

I have searched for information and used the boards before but I still can't make the Wilton cuddly bear right. The first time I made it the bear was gummy. Fellow ccer's said to try baking it at a lower temp for a longer time period. I tried a second time and still gummy and his head sortta cracked apart. Another time it stuck all through the pan and wasn't baked right. Tonight I greased and floured the pan really good. Filled it and baked it at 325. After an hour the bear overflowed (never happened before) and was gummy again. This thing was really hollowed out. I put it back in for about 20 minutes and it didn't help. What am I doing wrong?? I'm using a basic yellow cake mix straight from the box. I've wasted so much in supplies trying to do this thing. It's become a full blown mission to get it right.

I'm supposed to do the bear on top a cake for a baby shower this Saturday. I'm soooo lost I could just cry. I can't not do it. But I can't give them a gummy cake. Would another flavor work maybe?? Can anyone help me please??

9 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:49am
post #2 of 10

I have trouble with my yellow cake from time to time and it turns out "gummy" just like you described.
I don't know why it happens it just does, maybe try another flavor or brand of mix.
If you have a tried and true recipe that never fails you then go with that one (assuming the customer won't mind the change in flavor).
Sorry I could'nt be more help.
Good Luck!
Oh just remembered I have better luck with Betty Crocker Yellow cake, the Duncin Hines for me always turns out gummy.
HTH

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 12:57pm
post #3 of 10

I don't know about the bigger bear pan but I have the mini one and the directions say it works best to use a heavier mix like one with pudding added, or a pound cake recipe.

My pan said to use 1 c. of mix and it did rise and bubble over the end, but I just sliced that off once it cooled and it was level.

Again, I don't have any experience with the bigger pan, but try adding pudding to your mix and see if that helps. Also, maybe try lowering your oven temp and cook longer so it has a chance to cook all the way through without overcooking the outsides.

One more tip; make your own cake release. Equal parts shortening, oil, and flour mixed well, and brush your pan really well with a pastry brush. I even used my fingers to really get into the details of the pan. It works miraculously!

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:06pm
post #4 of 10

Are you using a heating core? It should help with even baking.

jenlg Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 10

I have lowered the temp but it still didn't help. Also, I am using the heating core that came with the pan. I'm getting ready to try yet once again , but with a different cake flavor. I think I'm ready to invest in some chickens. Geesh...

hpotter83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hpotter83 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:46am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

I have lowered the temp but it still didn't help. Also, I am using the heating core that came with the pan. I'm getting ready to try yet once again , but with a different cake flavor. I think I'm ready to invest in some chickens. Geesh...

LMFAO...I just snorted and laughed so loud my baby woke up...I dunno why I found that so funny.

OK...back to my corner.. icon_razz.gif

Oh, and I'm no help, never used on before sorry.

nanikins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanikins Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 3:07am
post #7 of 10

I've used that pan, but it's been a little while. I used a combination of one cake mix made per the directions and one made using the pound cake recipe from the side of the box. I baked it per the directions and it did overflow a bit, but came out just fine.

Take a deep breath and hang in there!

Just in case, here's the pound cake recipe from the side of the cake box - 1 box mix, 1 package instant pudding, 4 eggs, 1 cup water, 1/3 cup vegetable oil.

Good luck, sweetie! I'm rootin' for ya!

cakedecr8r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedecr8r Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 3:27am
post #8 of 10

The 1st time I made that bear cake I used a regular mix and mixed as directed, and when i took it out the pan, the bear fell apart. The next time I used a recipe for a pound cake from the cake mix doctor book, and it worked just fine. The recipe did call for pudding

jenlg Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:11am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bama111

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenlg

LMFAO...I just snorted and laughed so loud my baby woke up...I dunno why I found that so funny.

OK...back to my corner.. icon_razz.gif

Oh, and I'm no help, never used on before sorry.

OMG....That was funny on its own. I finally got it figured out.

I switched to a different cake mix brand. I greased the heck out of the pans like crazy with butter and floured just as much. I used BC chocolate super moist and baked at 325 for an hour and 15 min. Worked great. However, I still needed a yellow cake for the baby shower cake due. So..I did the same thing with BC yellow super moist cake. It's in the oven now....here's keeping my fingers crossed!!!

Thanks for all the advice everyone!! (sorry I made you wake the baby bama!)

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 21 Nov 2008 , 4:32am
post #10 of 10

I have made several of the teddy bear cakes though I have not used a yellow cake mix.I like pillsbury,with the pudding in the mix and I also like Duncan Hines,no pudding in the mix.Anyway make sure you are measuring out your cake.It takes 5 and 1/2 cups of batter for the pan and about 1/2 cup in the heating core maybe a little bit more,it needs to be about 3/4 full.I bake my at 350 for 55 min.Be sure to let it cool for about 5 min. or so,lay it on it's side and open it up on one side to allow the steam to escape,flip it over on the other side and do the same thing.I leave the top off and let it cool down for about 10 min. and then remove the heating core,be careful not to pull out excess cake.I then reinsert the cake removed from the core and let it cool down for atleast an hour you can set it up on your board at his point and refrigerate it overnight or atleast a few hours,this seems to help it settle and hold its shape better.Sorry for the neewspaper! Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%