Non-Payment Of Wedding Cake-Just Need To Vent!

Decorating By cookieswithdots Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 2:17am by dldbrou

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 11

I've been doing cookies for several years and ventured out to do a few cakes here and there. I was asked in Sept. to do a wedding cake, this would be my first. The gal that ask is a friend and she ordered it for her niece. We talked several times and agreed on a price, $325.00. It was Satin Ice, 14, 10 and 6 layers. Not much detailing and since it was my first and she was also a friend, I felt this was fair.

OK-so a week goes by and she e-mails me and we make arrangements for her to come by and pay and also return my cake support system. She never shows up, happens once again after that. She finally e-mails me again and I can practically see her tears on my computer. She explains that she screwed up her finances and feels really bad. She can't pay me at this time, but agrees that she will "get it together" and pay me.

I'm really stuck-as she is really a very sweet gal and I know she is being honest. But at the same time, I'm mad. I worked so very hard on this cake and I wish she would just make an attempt to contact me.

So-- a little advice-friend or no friend-depost from now on. Pls don't slam me, I should have known better. I just finished two small cakes and several cookie orders and when I asked for a deposit, hey-- no problem at all.

Thanks for listening!
Melissa

10 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 11

No slamming here, hon. I'm sorry your "friend" (and I use this term loosely) has treated you this way. As for her "tears" and how she feels so bad - I'm sure YOU are feeling worse about this now than SHE does.

But from now on, get your money before you deliver the cake. Most pro's here require final payment anywhere from 1 month - 1 week prior to the wedding so exactly this kind of thing won't happen.

*HUG*

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 8:31pm
post #3 of 11

No Worries, I understand. I've been there too and never got paid.
If their truly your "friend" they would also understand that you worked hard on their cake and agreed on a price, even if it was only a verbal contract...it was still a contract and you delivered. If they went to a business and pulled that, they would not have had a cake at all.
Could you try to set up a payment plan with them and work something out that way?

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 11

No Worries, I understand. I've been there too and never got paid.
If their truly your "friend" they would also understand that you worked hard on their cake and agreed on a price, even if it was only a verbal contract...it was still a contract and you delivered. If they went to a business and pulled that, they would not have had a cake at all.
Could you try to set up a payment plan with them and work something out that way?

cookieswithdots Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 9:14pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks guys! I forgot to mention that she used to decorate cakes... so gees- she should know how I feel. I am going to e-mail her to set up a time so I can get my cake supports. At the same time I am going to suggest a payment plan. Never again will I do this without payment and balance due at time of delivery.

Melissa

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 10:36pm
post #6 of 11

we all learnicon_smile.gif That, I guess, is what is most important.... next to getting your money! So sorry to hear about your situation.

I recently did my first wedding cake and asked for payment in full 2 weeks before the wedding...but they didn't have a final count..and so I set my "final" date in which I would take it, 1 week--I had to make gp flowers and needed to buy supplies. Fortunatly I got it 9 days before, she did ask me to not cash it till the nextday, which was fine.

Good luck in your future orders icon_smile.gif

cookieswithdots Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 11:44pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks again. Yep- I've learned. I just love this site- great to be able to vent once in awhile.

Melissa

Stefy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stefy Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 11:58pm
post #8 of 11

Maybe she did run into hard times financially - in this economy is entirely plausible. If she is a friend (and I'm assuming she is since you agreed to give her a discount in the first place) why not assume that she will keep her word and pay you - w.'hy jump to the automatic conclusion that she is going to stiff you - I harldy wouldn't think that about one of my 'friends.'

cookieswithdots Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:07am
post #9 of 11

Trust me, I really want to think the best, I just needed to put my frustrating in writing. The wedding was early Oct. so some time has passed. I totally understand about financial problems, my husband was out of work for nealy 18 mos. Things aren't always easy.

Melissaicon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 4:06am
post #10 of 11

I hope everything works out for you Melissa....I would bet that most of us on this site have been in the same boat as you. Hopefully your friend will stand by her word and pay you. Unfortunately it really puts a strain on a friendship when these things happen. Believe me, I've been there and more than once too!

Good luck icon_smile.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 2:17am
post #11 of 11

I also hope you get paid and also that you get your supports back. Besides getting paid in advance, I would require a deposit to cover the cost of cake supports just in case they loose or break or forget to return them. Good Luck. Now you might feel like K-Mart with their law-a-way plan. LOL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%