Now I've Heard It All

Business By Carolynlovescake Updated 19 Nov 2008 , 3:39pm by kimmypooh79

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 3:23am
post #1 of 11

So yesterday a friend who does cakes illegally here called me in a panic.

She went to the venue (her first time there) to delivery and they asked for a copy of her business license, insurance policy etc. and she had none.

She pulled a "I don't have it with me let me make a call" thinking I'd offer up my business license, business card, and liability insurance for her.

I was like "oh no way." She was in a panic and fell apart on me "Now the bride won't have a cake for her reception!" "This is going to ruin her moment today" and blah blah blah.

I know the venue well, they don't let any cake in from a supermarket either. Either it's a professional decorator with their own liability insurance or their own in house dercorated cake(s). The venue has an awesome decorator and she and I trade tips and hints all the time.

I know someone who attended and they said the bride was turning this baker in on Monday. The bride was clearly shaken at the ceremony and reception over it and just kept saying "I can't believe it, no cake at a wedding."

I know this venue would have told the bride at least 4 times what they needed for this cake to be delivered prior to the event. Every time I've delivered there they want a copy even if I was there just last week.

I'm still stunned though

"hey I'm up a creek and need a huge favor" (me thinking she's out of cake boxes again).

"sure what's up"

"I'm over here at ____________ and they won't let me in with out a copy of licenses, and insurancy policies. I have a wedding cake and I was wondering if I could have you bring your info over for me to use so I can get my cake in."

(in a raised voice) "you want me to do what!?"

"just this one time. No one needs to know you didn't do it."

"and if someone is sick from it then it's my policy they file against. No way, no how."

"oh come on, no one will be sick."

"no. Seriously no way, no how. No No NO"

and it went down hill from there.

Me thinks she wasn't a friend to start with but now I definately know where this friendship stands... at the end of a short plank and it's taking a long walk off of it. thumbs_up.gif

10 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 3:31am
post #2 of 11

I feel bad for her and the bride, but you did the right thing.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 3:32am
post #3 of 11

OMG, what a story!! icon_surprised.gif

When I baked out of my home, I was VERY aware of what facilities required proof of insurance and licensing and I steered very clear from those places. If a bride came to me with a location I was unfamiliar with, I ALWAYS asked if their contract required lic/ins confirmation. And yes, I DID have to tell two brides that since I worked out of my home, I couldn't deliver to their selected reception site ... and referred them to another (licensed) baker in my town.

Good lord, if you're going to fly under the radar, at least fly smart about it! icon_eek.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 3:49am
post #4 of 11

you know, I was thinking about this and there's another lesson here.

Notice the venue didn't cave and say, "oh gosh, if we don't let this lady in, the poor bride won't have a cake on her wedding day, so we'll go ahead and take the risk, and disregard the contract and do it this time and deal with the problem later." Nope. They didnt' go all emotional over it. Bride screwed up and hired a baker who would not be permitted inside the facility with a cake.

Bride's problem, not the facility's problem. The facility felt no need to fix what is most likely a violated clause in the facility contract.

We should all have backbones like this.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 11:12am
post #5 of 11

Wow glad you stood up.

Mike

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 1:37pm
post #6 of 11

Good job, Carolyn. You did the right thing. The bride is the one who likely went with a lower priced (and illegal too) baker. Sorry, but this worked out just like it should have.

ShopGrl1128 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShopGrl1128 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 11

wow...I can't believe this woman and I can't believe why the bride didn't take care of this BEFORE the wedding! I wonder if the baker lied to the bride thinking she could get away with this icon_confused.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 11

More likely that she had delivered cakes before with nobody asking for the paperwork. There are a bunch of places here that require it, but most don't ask about it. I think that venues generally ask for it if it's been an issue in the past for them (the cake Aunt Myrtle made falling over, etc.)

I can't believe that she wanted to use your license, though...What was she thinking??? That's some kind of nerve.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 11

wow that was sure asking a lot.

in a way, the bride got what she paid for...going with a cheaper baker....it's sad.

a real friend would have never dreamed of asking you to do something like that.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:38pm
post #10 of 11

She may have been in such a state that this happened that she wasn't really thinking about what she was asking you to do.

kimmypooh79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmypooh79 Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 3:39pm
post #11 of 11

She may have been in such a state that this happened that she wasn't really thinking about what she was asking you to do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%