Business Opportunity- Need Advice

Business By mandysue Updated 17 Nov 2008 , 2:03am by CakeryBakery

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:38am
post #1 of 5

My best friend and her hubby own a family restaurant. They just had their 6 year old's b-day party there on Saturday. I did the cake and everyone loved it. My friends want to offer party packages that include my cakes. I think this would be a great opportunity to get my name out there and get more business, but I don't want to make a wrong move here and get myself into a situation where I'm making tons of cake for these parties and not making much money.

So, do any of you have brilliant advice for me?

I think I'm going to have to keep the costs as low as possible. The restaurant is a Pizza Ranch, and while it's very nice, it's not upscale. Should I just offer 5-6 basic designs, all priced the same per serving and then have the customers contact me directly if they want a more customized ($$) cake.

Thanks for your help!!!

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 12:44am
post #2 of 5

Charge your regular price and she can just include it in the package. Give a choice of like 3 designs, to make it easier for her to take the order.

For a package deal, you want to keep it simple.

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 1:38am
post #3 of 5

Thanks indydebi! I just knew you'd have a great answer! BTW, I've checked out your websites and your profile and I want to BE you. You've really got it going on!!! Thanks for always being willing to share your expertise!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 1:59am
post #4 of 5

nah ... your timing was just good. I'm working on a proposal right now for something similar ... had a dinner meeting tonight about it.

CakeryBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeryBakery Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 2:03am
post #5 of 5

keep it really simple, offer 3 or 4 cake flavors (white, choc., yellow, and marble). One single design, anything different is custom. It makes life simple for you and your friend, also makes it easier to take on last minute orders. If the customer wants anything other than the "standard" cake it becomes an opportunity for you to showcase your talent.

We do cakes for a few different children party places they each have elected to use their logo as the design for the standard cake, we pipe a cute border and some balloons or party streamers on the cake. It is a great way to bring on more business and to get folks familiar with your business name.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%