Oh My Word....

Business By Kitagrl Updated 17 Nov 2008 , 1:12am by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 5

Ok did a groom's cake for someone and it turned out quite well! Was just curious and was doing a search for my business name to see if anyone has given me testimonials or comments online.

Found one who wrote about me BEFORE her wedding and she was excited about this grooms cakea 3D cake.

In this webpage she had put a bunch of vendors...anyway for the cake I charged her like just like around $300 ish......for about 30 servings...I can't remember exactly and too lazy to look it up LOL (just delivered yesterday but had a big cake week!) she had put on this page that Charm City cakes would have charged about $1400 for cake and delivery and another large cake shop in Phila would have charged around $3000!!!! So needless to say she was thrilled with my prices and put on the testimonial "prices can't be beat!" LOL...

Okay so maybe I should raise my prices for 3D work???? Or were the other quoted prices way too outrageous? Like obviously I could have asked for double what I did and still way undercut the other people.

4 replies
step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 10:55pm
post #2 of 5

ok...i am not sure if you are talking about the spagetti cake OR the rhino cake...but either way...WOW! both of those look way amazing and could be in a magazine!!! icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

I am guessing you did like $10 a serving? in my book and in my town...that is way over priced...but on the East Coast I can see where a cake could go for more because that is the market there right now. you also have to remember that CCC is a "celebrity" cake company...and I don't know about the other company but $3000 sounds OUTRAGEOUS to me! that cake would have to have GOLD in it for me to pay that icon_lol.gif

I guess I am no help...but those are some factors you have to question. IMO I think you could've done more per serving on that cake though icon_wink.gif

Lenore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lenore Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:03pm
post #3 of 5

Your cakes are so beautiful! Why don't you determine how many hours you spent on the cake and calculate how many $/hr you made? Maybe that will help you put it into perspective. icon_biggrin.gif

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 11:04pm
post #4 of 5

I think your pricing sounds about right for this area. Im in Maryland so I can see people paying that for 3d cakes. And Duff charges that because he can get it being a FN celebrity and the fact that he is booked over a year in advance!
And Im not sure about the place in Philly but sometimes people give outrageous amounts because they dont want the job. I know, Im not one of them but Im sure if its something that their not comfortable doing, they will make up a ridiculous amount so that they will look elsewhere without making them look unskilled. Ive had places do this to me before. They quoted us a ridiculous amount because they just didnt want the job!
But as far as the bridge giving you all that good publicity, you should get some great orders from word of mouth! Congrats!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 1:12am
post #5 of 5

Thanks all!

Double checked and I did charge $10/serving....which is actually more than usual because of the stand, and plus it was a smaller serving amount and I wanted to be sure to get enough.

I thought it was quite fair, I was appalled at the other pricing. For the other cake place to charge more than Duff though....you are probably right, they probably did not want to do it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%