Salted Versus Unsalted Butter Question

Decorating By lexi55033 Updated 16 Nov 2008 , 6:53pm by roxxxy_luvs_duff

lexi55033 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lexi55033 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 5

I use the Buttercream Dream recipe that is posted in the CC recipes. It calls for 1 stick unsalted butter, 1 stick salted butter, and 1 cup shortening. This might be a really stupid question, but what is the difference between unsalted and salted butter as far as taste goes? Is one sweeter than the other (I would guess unsalted would be sweeter, but like I said I have no idea, that's only a guess). The reason I'm asking is because I love this recipe, the taste of it and the consistency for decorating. However, my parents think it's too sweet. Can someone suggest a idea for making it less sweet, but still keep the same consistency? Would using 2 sticks of salted butter instead of one each make a difference? Can you tell I'm a newbie?

Thanks,
Angie

4 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:40pm
post #2 of 5

icon_biggrin.gif Yeah I would add another stick of unsalted. Good Job you were on the right track.

Mike

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 5

I make my american buttercream very similar to the buttercream dream, but I just use salted. It doesnt taste salty, so don't worry about that. It probably helps to cut the sweetness a bit, but it is still very sweet. Salted or unsalted it will taste good!

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:43pm
post #4 of 5

Mostly you see instructions to use unsalted butter in baking, but add salt to the recipe. The reason for this is that you do need a little salt in the recipe, BUT the amount of salt in salted butter varies widely, even within the same brand. Using unsalted butter then adding salt helps you control how much salt ends up in the recipe.

So if your recipe calls for salted butter and you only have unsalted, go ahead and use the unsalted, but add a pinch of salt.

If your recipe calls for unsalted butter and you only have salted, use the salted butter, but eliminate the extra salt called for in the recipe.

Hope that helps.

roxxxy_luvs_duff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxxxy_luvs_duff Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 6:53pm
post #5 of 5

I always use 2 sticks of salted when I make BC Dream frosting.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%