Tips For Coloring Icing

Decorating By kcmarie Updated 15 Nov 2008 , 11:46am by katwomen1up

kcmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcmarie Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:41am
post #1 of 8

Does anyone have any good tips for coloring icing. I use the wilton icing colors and it seems to thin my icing even though it's not suppose to. Mainly when I'm trying to get darker colors. Should I start off with stiffer icing?

Also I've noticed pictures of cakes with great black and red coloring and the icing has a shine to it. Do you add something to give it this shine? I've noticed red and black decorators icing at the store. Has anyone tried this?

Sorry for all the questions, just looking for a little advice.

7 replies
miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:50am
post #2 of 8

You need to start with really stiff icing for those hard to get colors and start with a pink for your red and let it rest and absorb all the coloring first and then keep adding the red little by little letting it rest every time until you get the desired color, same with the black, little by little and letting it rest. I have used those store bought decorator icings but they taste awful! I rather make my own icon_smile.gif . HTH

Bethkay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethkay Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 4:01am
post #3 of 8

I agree with everything Miny said. The store-bought stuff is nasty. One other suggestion for black is starting with a chocolate icing, if it is acceptable to the customer and works for the cake you are making. Both red and black take a good long time to absorb completely.

lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:13am
post #4 of 8

I use amerigels colors. They work really well.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 11:10am
post #5 of 8

Remember that your icing will get darker as you pipe. I use the Chefmaster in the squirt bottle, the little containers I find tend to break down my frosting. I agree with Miny yo have to let it sit a while. Nothing to give those colors a shine it's propably the light coming off because they are so dark. Red and black (deep red) I put a little chocolate in, for black I start with a dark chocolate frosting, you won't need a lot of black this way.

Kat

kcmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcmarie Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 9:55pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks so much to everyone!

Is Chefmaster a brand? I've never heard of it. Where do you get it?

Elserj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elserj Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 8

I only use Americolor for my red and black (use the super red and super black). Resting is really the main way to get the color.

katwomen1up Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katwomen1up Posted 15 Nov 2008 , 11:46am
post #8 of 8

kcmarie, yes Chefmaster is a brand my loco shop carries it. That's all they carry. There was another shop that carried but they ar stopping, not sure why. Maybe you can try finding it on line.

Good Luck,
Kat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%