Ugh... Chocolate Leaves

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 18 Nov 2008 , 2:06pm by Jenala87

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 3:37am
post #1 of 10

I'm trying to make some chocolate leaves, but when I go to peel the leaf off of the chocolate, all the chocolate does is crumb & break. I'm doing everything right. Any ideas as to whats going on??

9 replies
lifonahil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lifonahil Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:21am
post #2 of 10

No but i will give you a bump.

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:31am
post #3 of 10

Try doing them in wax paper, it's easier, that's what I use when I work with chocolate icon_wink.gif

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:38am
post #4 of 10

I can only tell you my "suggestions", and they would be: Make sure you are giving the leaves two coats of chocolate, refrigerate for about 15 mins. in between coats. Refrigerate about 1 hr. Then peel the leaves "very gently" off the back.
Also: wear gloves while working with them to keep from leaving prints on them, and melting them as fast.
And, don't let the chocolate drip/wrap around underneath the leaf or it won't peel off.
Hope that helps! icon_wink.gif

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:50am
post #5 of 10

I don't know what kind of chocolate you are using but I used chocolate candy melts, then put 2 coats and left to dry at room temp for about 30 min. then carefully peeled off the leaf.

I found it to be very easy and was so pleased with the results.

Oh, I also used an silk leaf, not a real one.

HTH!

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 5:51am
post #6 of 10

I just read about this today. If you work with white or milk chocolate it is easier to peel off. If you used dark chocolate try adding a tiny bit of vegetable oil. White Ghirardeli chocolate worked well for me.

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 12:29pm
post #7 of 10

I'm about to try taking them off, but I did notice some things I did wrong. I started out using the candy melts, but didn't have any left, so I used chocolate chips. Not sure if that's why, but it seems a little different. I also had only used one coat, but then put on a second one last night. Also, the candy melts I had used were dark chocolate. Thanks everyone for the tips! I'm really hoping this works!! I'm gonna go try now... "fingers crossed"!! icon_razz.gif

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 10

I hope it works for you today!

I used the dark chocolate candy melts and they worked fine. I think the 2nd coat is what you need. Good luck!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 16 Nov 2008 , 3:19am
post #9 of 10

I'm using the dark chocolate candy melts with paramount crystals on a silicone veiner and I'm having cracking problems like crazy. Any suggestions?

Jenala87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenala87 Posted 18 Nov 2008 , 2:06pm
post #10 of 10

I just did some for a cake a few weeks ago. I used candy melts and did about 3 coats (the third a really quick one on spots that looked a little thinner) When I pulled the leaf off I peeled really slow and moved to another point if it wasn't peeling easy enough at that angle. I also made about 10 more than I thought I would need to factor in some breaking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%