"instructions"?

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 14 Nov 2008 , 2:04pm by springlakecake

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:32pm
post #1 of 16

Sometimes people want my instructions on a carved cake. However I guess I'm not very scientific about it...I grab a handful of pictures and start hacking up a sheet cake.

How can I send instructions to people who want them? LOL....I haven't figured it out yet....

15 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 16

Taking time to write out detailed instructions is hard and a pain really. Maybe just taking some pictures throughout the process would be easier. I know I personally like to see things in progress and that makes it easier to undertstand.

KimAZ

Kitagrl Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:04pm
post #3 of 16

Sometimes I don't even remember what I did....I just start with a sheet cake and try to match a picture...I don't really have "steps" I guess unless I built a stand.

I always forget to take process pix too... icon_redface.gif

Chippi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chippi Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:38pm
post #4 of 16

Just wanted to say your cake pics are adorable Kita!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 16

I know the feeling! I sometimes get requests as well...I did make up instructions for my Yorkie cake, but when asked how I did my Wood Duck cake...hmmm. I gave some general info on what I did, so I hope that was enough.

I've seen cake demos at ICES conventions where the decorator measured and had a pattern for every layer of cake she put together... icon_confused.gif well, I'm like you: I just put together whatever makes up the general shape and start cutting! icon_lol.gif

Sometimes I feel like telling them...well, I start out with a sheet cake, or a particular 3-D cake pan cake...then cut away everything that isn't a duck...or a dog...or a bug....or a camera...or a golf bag...or a ...well, you get the picture. icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 16

LOL I think I do WORSE when I measure....I do better eyeing things most of the time. I do general measurements sometimes if its a car but if I rely too much on measurements, then I end up messing up.

Yep I cut away the same stuff you do!

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 3:46am
post #7 of 16

If I remember to take in-progress pics, I post them to my website along with some commentary. I usually don't, though, because I carve quickly and don't think much about what's going on when I'm working. I just do it. Writing out instructions is very time-consuming, and I started getting a lot of people being rather rude and abrupt about demanding me give them instructions, rather than asking or even saying please, so I no longer go out of my way to do it like I once did.

That being said, there are cakes on cakedalaska.com that I do explain a lot of how I did them and I direct people there when they ask questions. You may want to consider doing it that way so that you can still help people without giving yourself unnecessary stress over it.

Deanna

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 9:29am
post #8 of 16

I agree with Chippi kitagrl your cakes are really nice. thumbs_up.gif

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 10:16am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Sometimes people want my instructions on a carved cake. However I guess I'm not very scientific about it...I grab a handful of pictures and start hacking up a sheet cake.

How can I send instructions to people who want them? LOL....I haven't figured it out yet....

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one! icon_lol.gif

Kitagrl Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 1:13pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks for the nice comments...

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 16

Just tell them that you don't use a pattern, and just carve away until it 'looks right'.
If you want to send instructions to folks, use the PM button (if the file's not too large.)

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:18pm
post #12 of 16

Yah, sometimes you just have to be honest and say, "I plopped down a chunk of cake and started hacking until it looks right!" Sometimes people have a basic instruction process they can share, sometimes they don't, you just have to be honest and I'm sure they'll understand!! Sometimes when someone asks me, I can give them almost step by step of what I did, sometimes it's like, "I, Uhhhh, well... gee... there was cake involved!" icon_rolleyes.gif

Kitagrl Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:20pm
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvira

Yah, sometimes you just have to be honest and say, "I plopped down a chunk of cake and started hacking until it looks right!" Sometimes people have a basic instruction process they can share, sometimes they don't, you just have to be honest and I'm sure they'll understand!! Sometimes when someone asks me, I can give them almost step by step of what I did, sometimes it's like, "I, Uhhhh, well... gee... there was cake involved!" icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah sometimes I can't even remember how I did something! Sometimes somebody will order a cake off my website and I'm like "Uh oh, I can't even remember how I did that one!" haha.

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 6:30pm
post #14 of 16
Quote:

Yeah sometimes I can't even remember how I did something! Sometimes somebody will order a cake off my website and I'm like "Uh oh, I can't even remember how I did that one!" haha.

Boy howdy... can I relate to that! icon_redface.gif Now I make notes on the cakes I make, simple things like the size of the cake pan, particular colors, etc... anything that might jog my old memory..... icon_smile.gificon_confused.gif

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 7:21pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:

I grab a handful of pictures and start hacking up a sheet cake.....

My kind of decorator!!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 2:04pm
post #16 of 16

I totally understand where you are coming from. I don't mind helping people with a cake, but it bugs me a little when some says "send me directions for this cake." I don't write out instructions or document each detail just in case someone asks. I have started writing back that I would be glad to share how I constructed the cake, but I would appreciate if they asked me specific questions. That way I can just answer the questions they need to know. I don't know how much experience a person has. I don't want to write out instructions for aspects they already know how to do. I think this has saved me a lot of time! The people who are really interested write me back with their questions, and I am happy to answer them. The people who likely will never make the cake, don't answer back. It is like a weeding out system! Hopefully I don't sound icon_evil.gif !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%