Gluten Free Needed

Baking By mommicakes Updated 24 Nov 2008 , 1:09pm by Melan

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:58am
post #1 of 8

I am in need of a chocolate gluten free cake recipe. something I can try before the end of the month. Thanks in advance.

7 replies
robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:03am
post #2 of 8

I have celiac disease and have to eat gluten free. Ironic that I work in a bakery....I can't eat anything there! Actually, the boss started making gluten-free peanut butter cookies, I think so there would be SOMETHING there that I could eat. I have an awesome gluten free flourless chocolate cake recipe. It's very dense an fudgy, but sooo tasty! I can PM it to you.

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:08am
post #3 of 8

There are a few in the recipe section.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:08am
post #4 of 8

Hello,
I use Rice Flour and gluten-free extracts because I only bake vegan, BUT you can try this recipe instead of adapting a regular one. I would do a "test batch" first, as gluten free cakes tend to be a bit tempermental...

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/glutenfreedesserts/r/germanchocolate.htm

Good luck!

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:18am
post #5 of 8

Be aware that you can't switch out rice flour or soy flour or any other gluten free flour for wheat flour. It is NOT the same!!! You'll end up with a pancake! You also need a fake gluten like guar gum to help give the flour the elasticity it needs.

Btw, here's the flourless chocolate cake recipe:

1 lb. chocolate chips (good quality, make sure it's GF as most good quality chocolate is)
1/2 lb. unsalted butter
6 eggs

Melt chocolate and butter in double boiler. Whisk eggs over warm water 3-5 minutes until light. Add eggs to chocolate mixture, whisking the whole time. Whisk until there are no streaks. Put in 8" springform pan and cover the bottom and sides with foil. Place in warm water bath and bake at 425 for 5 minutes. Cover the top with a buttered piece of foil and bake 10 minutes more. Cool on rack for 45 minutes. Refrigerate for 3 hours before serving.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:32am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinscakes

Be aware that you can't switch out rice flour or soy flour or any other gluten free flour for wheat flour. It is NOT the same!!! You'll end up with a pancake! You also need a fake gluten like guar gum to help give the flour the elasticity it needs.

You are correct, however I have made gluten free cakes using Rice Flour or Chick pea flour with success. You just have to expect a different texture/consistency. ( Buckwheat flour also works for gluten free pastries that are incredible. )
HTH icon_smile.gif

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 19 Nov 2008 , 12:58pm
post #7 of 8

There is a product by Bob's red mill that is gluten free all purpose baking flour. You just sub it in your normal (scratch) recipe and go from there. I am trying it today so I will let you know how it works out. I found it in my natural food store.

Julia

Melan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melan Posted 24 Nov 2008 , 1:09pm
post #8 of 8

Anyone ever make a gluten free -sugar free cake? Or dessert of any kind? I have a relative who is diabetic and has celiac.... I'm still searching for recipes icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%