Help With Cake Balls

Decorating By hummingbird59 Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 7:56pm by hummingbird59

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 6

This may have been answered but some days I am a little on the dense side. I was trying the cake ball recipe on the site. My question is "How moist should the balls be?" Mine were pretty soggy so maybe I added too much creamer. Should they be barely moist or what? Also after freezing do they have a candy or gummie consistancy? I appreciate any advice.

5 replies
sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 6

My cake balls were a disaster - way too wet! My suggestion would be to make just moist enough to hold together. I would prefer more of a cake texture. Just my preference.

Sunspotalli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunspotalli Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 6

sounds like too much creamer was your problem it happens to me all the time. just enough to bind the cake together and you'll be good

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 6

Yes, just barely enough to hold them together...more like a cookie dough consistency.

Or try buttercream if you would rather.

cakemom55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemom55 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:55pm
post #5 of 6

I have done lots of cake balls but I have always used frosting of some kind - canned or my own buttercream - never have used creamer.

With the frosting, the ONLY accurate description I have been able to come up with for the consistancy is, ahem...already chewed up cake. I know - I know, it sounds gross.

Anyway...I would shoot for having them hold together very well, not too mushy, and yes, mine were sticky even after being in the freezer. I always take mine a few at a time out of the freezer for dipping. That way they do not thaw as quickly.

We love us some cake balls around my house!

Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks to everyone. Going to try again. Nasty, rainy day so I am playing in the kitchen.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%