White Scratch Cake Recipe That Doesn't Taste Like Cornbread

Decorating By charleezgal Updated 12 Nov 2008 , 12:49pm by Sweet_Guys

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 7

I have tried many white cake recipes, but they all seem to taste like cornbread. Does anyone have a good one (scratch recipe) that is light and fluffy that won't taste like cornbread?

I appreciate any help.

6 replies
OhioBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhioBaker Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 8:51pm
post #2 of 7

Cornbread icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif ...

I don't bake from scratch, but I've tasted many scratch cakes and I've never had one to taste like cornbread. icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Hopefully this will give you a bump and someone can help you.

Sorry.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 7

Google Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake (it comes out white). I do not separate the eggs and I use half the yolks called for. I mix it like a regular butter cake. It is flat amazing. Keeps well too. If you frige it you gotta re-warm it to loosen it back up so after it's iced my advice is don't chill it.

It's a very resilient very tasty cake --doesn't even need icing.

charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 7

The only cakes that tasted like cornbread to me were Betty Crockers Silver White cake and two others from Cake Central's recipe list. It's not that they were not good, but I just wanted to find a white cake that didn't have that "cornbread" taste.

Thanks to the gal that gave me the idea for Sylvia....I'll try to find it today.

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:38pm
post #5 of 7

I like Collette Peters white cake. She adds brown sugar and it's moist but firm.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:33am
post #6 of 7

I know exactly what you're talking about! I've tried my hand at many white scratch recipes and they either end up tasting like vanilla flavored flour, cornbread or crumble to pieces. I'm almost afraid to try any more. I have so many frozen layers (it's pathetic) that will eventually turn into cake balls b/c I don't like something about them

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 7

We like the White Trillium cake recipe found here on CC.

Paul & Peter

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%