First Topsy-Turvy Cake.... Help!

Decorating By jcaste Updated 13 Nov 2008 , 2:50am by JanH

jcaste Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcaste Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 11

Hey everyone!! I hope I can get some feedback & tips on to make a topsy-turvy cake. I will be trying for the first time tonight for a cake that needs to be finished by thurs night to deliver on friday. So Im on a limited time. If by wednesday it doesn't seem like its coming out the right way then I will have to re-do my cakes & do a simple cake without the cool illusion of a topsy turvy cake. So come on ladies, please help me out.

I baked my cakes & placed them in the freezer last night. I will take them out today & try to cut them at an angle. I only made 2 layers for each tier, which my cake will only be a 2 tiered cake. It's for a small baby shower that we will have at work so a 3 tier cake would be too much.

I printed out the tutorial of how to make a topsy-turvy cake but im sure there is some more tips out there that I could use. I want to know how do you get the smooth look on the fondant when you place it on your angled cakes. Won't it be a little difficult??

10 replies
jcaste Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 11

I also want to add this:

This is suppose to be a cake for a jungle theme baby shower. I was thinking about making fondant animals, any advice as to how I can secure them so they wont fall since the cake will be slanted a bit.

jcaste Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 10:14pm
post #3 of 11

anyone??? icon_cry.gif

jcaste Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 5:26am
post #4 of 11

Wow I havent heard from anyone yet. Anyone out there (echo)?? hehe!

Well i have baked my cakes & cut them at an angle. Tomorrow I will frost it. Im really nervous about it falling. Im not too familiar with using support on these cakes. So far Ive only made 2 cakes with 2 tiers & I used no support & they turned out ok. but fdoing topsy turvy freaks me out. especially since it gives the illusion of it being tilted. lol any advice??

Is it best to frost cakes & cover in fondant the night before delivery?? Ive already made my fondant. I guess tomorrow I can make my fondant animals & make my BC icing.

luelue1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luelue1971 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:10pm
post #5 of 11

I've only done one and I followed the instructions here. I also used the SPS system and I was really nervous about delivery. I actually held the cake at an angle before I put it in the car just to check it out. That thing did not budge.

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:28pm
post #6 of 11

I've never done one but I found this on CC which might help visit http://www.cakecentral.com/article1-instructions-for-building-a-whimsical.html If the link doesn't work just type in 'topsy turvy cake' and the instructions should come up under article search results.
Good luck and don't forget to post the pics!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 11

You will NEED support between the tiers. And don't just sit the top tier on the bottom tier at an angle.. it won't be as sturdy. You should cut a wedge of cake out of the top of the bottom tier to allow the top tier to sit level. Your cakes shouldn't really be crooked.. just look that way. icon_smile.gif HTH's

CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 11

PS To secure the fondant animals, a bit of royal icing should be fine. If the animals are particularly large, a thin (preferably plastic) dowel or skewer should do the trick but you will have to warn the recipient about the presence of non edible supports in the cake.

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:06pm
post #9 of 11

hi jcaste, look for something from janH, she always has links to everything that i know could help you. hope this link works. i doubt she would mind if you contact her. she is super awesome!!! in fact i believe she is the superhero for links on here, hehe! hth! http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-forum-userprofile-28202.html icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 2:07pm
post #10 of 11

I found this two site that might help you a little. good luck. I have not done one yet so let us know what you learned once you do it.

http://cakesbyrosa.wordpress.com/2008/03/07/how-to-make-a-topsy-turvy-cake/

http://www.sugarwonders.com/webalbum/Workshops/Topsy%20Turvy%20Cake%20Workshop/album.html

thanks
shaddi

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 13 Nov 2008 , 2:50am
post #11 of 11

Here's all the topsy turvy, mad hatter, whimsical and crooked cake help I have:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-5877592-.html

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%