I'm An Idiot

Lounge By alanaj Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 2:13am by jammjenks

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:06pm
post #1 of 11

I cannot for the life of me get a pic small enough to upload as my avatar. No matter how much I resize or compress I can't get it below 6KB. Does anyone have any tips? I'm tired of being a red X!

Thanks,
Alana

10 replies
DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:20pm
post #2 of 11

I have the same problem. I think it has to do with the resolution that your camera is set at. At high res, the pic has so many pixels to begin with, that it's practically impossible to make it make it the right size. By the time you get down to 6kb, it's practically microscopic!

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:31pm
post #3 of 11

try fiddling with the image resolution, not just the size. That's what makes the biggest difference. If only needs to about 72.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 6:45pm
post #4 of 11

I have a program that reduces the size of the file, not necessarily the size of the pictures.

What I have is called Macromedia Fireworks MX. I got it from a friend years ago, but I'm sure there are other programs that do it.

TC123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TC123 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 8:11pm
post #5 of 11

Hi! I ran into the same problem. I had to crop a section out of a larger photo, then play with the sizing/dimensions. I'm not a computer whiz, so it was kinda frustrating. But SOOO exciting when I finally got one to upload successfully! icon_razz.gif

Good luck!

Kim_in_CajunCountry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim_in_CajunCountry Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 11

Here's my "secret". I resize the photo to the appropriate size. Then I use my screen capture software, FastStone Capture, to grab it and then I save it. This results in a much smaller file size.

You can read about this free software in my post in another thread:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-6129937-faststone.html#6129937

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:41pm
post #7 of 11

What i do is upload my pics to Photobucket and just save the picture on to the computer and then upload to CC with no problems...i don't even have to resize the pic.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks everyone! Here I go to...try, try again!

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 11

Here's the site I use to make avatars:
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:02am
post #10 of 11

I'm not sure which picture program you use but I use Paint Shop Pro. In that program, I resize my image to the size I want it and then click "save as" and choose the jpeg as the "save as type". Then click on "options" under the "help"button (before clicking save). You can lower the resolution there by changing the compression or click "run optimizer" and then you can lower the compression and see exactly how big it will be byte wise. It may be different in other programs but hopefully that helps.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:13am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Here's the site I use to make avatars:
http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

I used this one too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%