Handcut Templates

Baking By giraffe11 Updated 11 Nov 2008 , 11:24am by TracyLH

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:10am
post #1 of 7

What are most people using to make their handcut templates? I have always used a thin cardboard, but they always look so ragged that I have mostly given up on making my own templates. I see so many great cookies on here that use them though and would really like to know what people are using.
Thanks for any help you can give, Heather

6 replies
shadowgypsie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shadowgypsie Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:33am
post #2 of 7

I use quilters template plastic. works great.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 7

My husband buys a lot of booze gift sets around the holidays, and almost all of them have plastic "windows". I recycle the plastic as templates!

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 7

I use the stencil-like plastic. I know others wrap their cardboard with plastic wrap.

dlinnane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dlinnane Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:03pm
post #5 of 7

I laminate my drawing or picture, then cut it out. I use a very sharp knife and carefully cut out the shapes, pressing in any jagged edges as needed -- it works just fine!

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 7

Ditto on the laminated pictures, you can use that as a guide for decorating the cookie after you have baked them as well

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:24am
post #7 of 7

I use the template plastic from Joann's found in the quilting section. It comes in two weights and I use the lighter of the two. I use a sharpie marker to oultine and when I cut it, I leave some of the marking there to follow the line. It washes and stores easily.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%