Your Opinion Of Leapster Products?

Lounge By Melvira Updated 20 Nov 2008 , 6:33pm by sweetness_221

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:07am
post #1 of 15

I am working on my son's Xmas list for family members and have found several items that just look SO neat for him... learning toys that won't just rot his little mind! Hehehe.

Anyhoo...I was wondering if anyone knows much about the difference between the Leapster, Leapster2, and Leapster L-max?? Obviously, they are 'newer releases' as you go... but that also means they are subsequently more expensive. I was just curious if functionaly anyone knows of a difference in them. I have heard bad things about the TV connection on one of them, but not much about how they differ. It does seem that all the games are interchangable... does anyone know if that is actually the case? (That's what the info on the store websites indicated anyway!)

Anyone have an other amazing suggestions for an almost 4 year old? (Well, 3.5, but quite smart!)

14 replies
michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 15

My 3.5 and 5.5 year olds love our neighbor's Leapster, so I got them each their own. I just got the regular old Leapster for them.

My son also loves the neighbor's "Better Batter Baseball" and I think it's by Nerf, you put rockets on it, then stomp a pad, and it shoots the rocket up in the air.

I'm still looking for things for him. Girls are a lot easier to shop for!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 15

My kids both have the Leappad.They use it a bit but not as much as I thought they would. I guess because they are both older now and do all of that in school they don't want to do anymore when they get home!!

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:46pm
post #4 of 15

I never bought any of the leapster products so I know nothing about them.

If you're looking for other educational type things how about books on a subject your son is interested in? My 5 year old's favorite book is one on snakes and he likes reptiles in general. You never know it might turn into a hobby for him in a few years, we now have an iguana and a baby corn snake.

If he likes to help you in the kitchen they have some really cute kids' baking kits at places like Hobby Lobby. Cooking is educational and fun time together.

I'm a fan of Playdoh, puzzles, blocks, Legos, etc. You can find retro sets of Lincoln Logs and other things like that.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 15

I just got DS some Lincoln Logs. I had no idea how expensive they were! Tinkertoys are a favorite, too.

Does your son like trains? Mine loves to put his tracks together in all different shapes. That will keep him busy for long periods of time.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 15

I love everything made by Leapfrog (Leapster, Word Factory DVD etc..) all of their products are excellent. My son has the Leapster and he loves it!

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:17am
post #7 of 15

Love love love Leapster stuff!!! My oldest son got an L-Max last year and loves it. So does my younger son and niece, so they are getting their own for christmas!!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:20am
post #8 of 15

My girls have had several Leapster products throught the years and every single one of them have been great. Right now they each have a Leapster L-Max and take them almost everywhere we go. They're great for car rides even for short distances.

cmp24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmp24 Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 4:55am
post #9 of 15

working in the electronics dept and yes that includes toys lol i would go for the middle one

1. the older one is going out of date and could be harder to find games for

2. the middle one is still around, and usually they have not gotten out a lot of new games for the new one as of yet, which means the child will be able to use the toy longer

3. Yes it's the newer version of the toy, but it's major down fall of the gadget is theres not a lot of games for it.

check your local stores to see which one has more learning games and choose that one. More games means more learning. IMO

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 2:48pm
post #10 of 15

My kids started with the leapster a long time ago. (they are now, 8,10,13) They really liked the original one. It is still around here and they still use it. My Great nieces & nephews like to play with it here too. I just purchased the new one that Leapster put out, the DIDJ. It is pretty cool. still very educational, and the kids almost fight over it. Can get cool games, there is Nancy Drew (literacy) Star Wars (math) and some others too. It comes with a website to get more fun things to do & see with it as well. My investment into Leapster products has been a good one. HTH

athompson0525 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
athompson0525 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:57am
post #11 of 15

We love Leapster. My daughter has the first version of it. For Christmas she is getting the new DiDj and my son is getting the Leapster 2. They both play the one she currently has.

We actually love all Leapfrog products.

amastercreation Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amastercreation Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 1:16am
post #12 of 15

melvira,
I have a 3 1/2 year old daughter and she loves her hand me down leapster L-max from her older sister. we did get the tv connection but haven't really used it. We mainly keep the Leapster in the car and have an AC adapter for it. We got so tired of going thru batteries.

We also have the Leapster Fridge Phonics Products. We actually got them for my older daughter when she was 3 (she's 5 1/2 now), however, my 3 1/2 year old plays with them more. In fact, when she was 2, she learned her ABC's and sounds just from playing with the Fridge Phonics.

I'm also a fan of Tinker toy, lincoln logs and puzzles. They're great for working on fine motor skills.

hth!
Aileen

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 14 Nov 2008 , 6:13pm
post #13 of 15

My oldest DD has the original leapster. She's now 9 and is basically outgrowing it so we have given it to my 4 yr old DD. She loves it. I did check and the Leapster 2 games work in all leapster systems. I was hoping they would be and thankfully they are. So if you want to save some money go for the plain leapster go ahead. If I'm not mistaken the only difference between the first and the 2nd is you can connect it to the internet? I could be wrong, but I think that's the only difference. HTH.

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 17 Nov 2008 , 2:31am
post #14 of 15

Both my kids got an L-Max last year for Christmas they were 5 and 6 - they love it. I ended up buying rechargable batteries because they eat batteries. I believe the L-Max can use it's own cartridges and the other two Leapster's cartridges. We also have the Leapfrog phonics DVD servies and my son was reading by the time he was 3 - I can't take the credit - the phonics DVD teaches them the proper way to read. Personally I love their products - I will be sad once my kids out grow them

sweetness_221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetness_221 Posted 20 Nov 2008 , 6:33pm
post #15 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by klg1152

Both my kids got an L-Max last year for Christmas they were 5 and 6 - they love it. I ended up buying rechargable batteries because they eat batteries. I believe the L-Max can use it's own cartridges and the other two Leapster's cartridges. We also have the Leapfrog phonics DVD servies and my son was reading by the time he was 3 - I can't take the credit - the phonics DVD teaches them the proper way to read. Personally I love their products - I will be sad once my kids out grow them

My DD just out grew the leapster. I did see a commercial for the Leapfrog Didj. They said it's for the one's who out grow the leapsters. Might have to get my DD one. HTH.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%