Wedding Cake Questions!

Decorating By tarheelgirl Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 3:08pm by tarheelgirl

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 16

Ok.. so I have been asked to do a wedding cake for someone in the next couple of months. This will be my first!! I have questions... I have no idea what to even charge! How much per serving would you charge. I just finished a dummy cake to look kind of like what they are looking for. Do you charge a base price per serving and then of course if they want ribbon how much extra. I guess most of the time they supply either the flowers for the top or the cake topper. Ok.. if it is per serving that you charge how would you add in the detail work? Like the practice cake I have done has scrolls and the impression mat was used. Oh and I already have read on CC about the contract! Buttercream versus fondant covered cakes.. One more question.. what about the cake stand that you will be placing the cake on.

Sorry for soo many questions!!! I am stressing! icon_cry.gif Thanks for any help or suggestions!!

[img]Image[/img]

15 replies
CakeWhizz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeWhizz Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:30pm
post #2 of 16

Hi Tarheelgirl,
Well done to you! The cake looks beautiful and elegant.
I really can't help much as I don't live in the US but I am almost sure I have seen a similar thread where IndyDebi stated that she charges $3 a serving for basic buttercream cake and more for fondant. You've also got to remember to charge for transportation to and from the venue. There should be a contract somewhere on CC and Jan H (our honourary librarian) might be able to help you out there. In terms of stacking your cakes, I highly recommend using SPS (Leahs is our resident expert and has even written a user guide which is mega helpful). I hope this helps and at the very least this reply might give you a bump! Good luck and don't forget to post the pics

tarheelgirl Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:47pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks so much! I am excited but nervous at the same time!! icon_surprised.gif

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:21am
post #4 of 16

Your cake looks wonderful! As far as pricing it depends on your area. When I started I pulled up some local cake websites to see what they were charging. My cakes start at $3.25 for buttercream and $4.25 for fondant. I just did a tasting for a cake for 100 and she wants ribbon around it so I added $10.00 extra. It would depend on how large your cake is and how much ribbon you would use. My ribbon on the spool is $3.50 so I tripled it for pricing.

For scroll work like you have there you could add .25 or .50 per serving.

Hope this helps!

ladyonzlake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:22am
post #5 of 16

Your cake looks wonderful! As far as pricing it depends on your area. When I started I pulled up some local cake websites to see what they were charging. My cakes start at $3.25 for buttercream and $4.25 for fondant. I just did a tasting for a cake for 100 and she wants ribbon around it so I added $10.00 extra. It would depend on how large your cake is and how much ribbon you would use. My ribbon on the spool is $3.50 so I tripled it for pricing.

For scroll work like you have there you could add .25 or .50 per serving.

Hope this helps!

tarheelgirl Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:35am
post #6 of 16

Jacqui, thanks so much! I definitely will check to see what the going rate is around here. Great information!!

Melissa

ladyonzlake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:56am
post #7 of 16

I'm glad I could help! icon_biggrin.gif I'm not sure why it double posted though?

tarheelgirl Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 16

ok.. another question for you awesome CC'ers..

Do you assemble your cakes at the reception site if it is a stacked cake? I have only delivered 2 tiered cakes and they were doweled properly and never had a problem. But I know if I had to deliver a 4 tiered cake that is a totally different story!!

Melissa icon_biggrin.gif

ladyonzlake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:28pm
post #9 of 16

I deliver my stacked cakes if they are 3 tiers high.

tarheelgirl Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:34pm
post #10 of 16

Great!! Thanks for the reply! I did find the SPS tutorial and that looks like the safest way to go! Thanks Leahs for posting that!! Now I just need to find out where the best and most economical place is to buy the plates.

ladyonzlake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:58pm
post #11 of 16

SPS can be purchsed at www.oasissupply.com

tarheelgirl Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:16pm
post #12 of 16

You are the woman!!! thumbs_up.gif That is a really reasonable site to purchase the SPS products! GREAT!! icon_biggrin.gif

ladyonzlake Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:45pm
post #13 of 16

Yes, thanks to Leah's, I love this product! I build it into the price of my cakes and let the bride and groom toss them so I dont' have to deal with charging them sale tax on it and recovering them.

tarheelgirl Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:05pm
post #14 of 16

so I have come up with the pricing based on my area! Now.. how much extra does everyone here charge for cake fillings?

Also.. what do you consider a "basic" cake flavor????

ladyonzlake Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 2:39pm
post #15 of 16

You have to figure out what your cake costs. My "base" priced cakes are vanilla, chocolate, red velvet, marble, raspberry and strawberry swirl.

Cake with expensive ingredients are upgraded prices...Lemon, banana, chocolate chip, pumpkin, spice ect. They range from .25 extra to .50 extra. If I use liquors they are .75 extra.

The same concept for my fillings. My commercial fillings like the sleeve fillings and I include vanilla BC are my base price. I make my fruit puree's which I add to flavor my BC so those are upgraded to .25 extra. Cream cheese, coconut, maple syrup ect are .50 more and liquor flavored are .75 more.

I just look at the extra cost of ingredients to figure out my costs.

tarheelgirl Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:08pm
post #16 of 16

Great! That gives me a great deal to work with as far as pricing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%