Wilton Castle Kit

Decorating By sweetcakes Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 4:44am by glendaleAZ

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 9:49pm
post #1 of 5

ill be using the wilton kit to make a large castle cake. and i have questions about the way wilton suggests attaching the towers, does it really work to attach a dowel with candy melts then insert it into the cake? ican see it getting broken off. so anyone who has used this kit what did you kind out when you did yours? what would you do differantly? i will have 3 tiers of cake to use and i would like to deliver it as complete as possible. so all and any tips would be appreciated.

4 replies
whiteybear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whiteybear Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 12:26am
post #2 of 5

I am no help but just wanted to say I had the exact same question. I will be doing the same kit for a birthday party in a couple weeks and it just seems the towers wouldn't hold very well with just the candy melts. Hope someone can help us both!

schnumvf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schnumvf Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:24am
post #3 of 5

When I made this cake I had my husband drill a small hole in the bottom of each tower so I could put a dowel through the tower and into the cake. I attached the side towers with chocolate, but in the future I think I will go with another hole and a dowel. They did stay with the chocolate but I was very nervous. I wouldn't trust it for a long trip. (Mine was only from the kitchen to the back yard)

icon_smile.gif Hope this helps.

sumbobcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sumbobcat Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 5

I would have never thought of drilling holes in the bottom and using dowel rods. Great idea. When I made one, about a year ago, I just held me breath and prayed that nothing happened.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 4:44am
post #5 of 5

Me too - held my breath.

Thanks schnumvf. Great idea -- Next time I make a castle cake I'm getting out my drill.

Tammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%