What Is The Best Way To Apply Disco Dust To Fondant?

Decorating By sarahd Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 5:57am by sarahd

sarahd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahd Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 11:20pm
post #1 of 4

For those of you that have used disco dust can you tell me the best way to apply it to fondant?

TIA

3 replies
plwilson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plwilson Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 11:31pm
post #2 of 4

If disco dust is the same as lustre dust, I shake some out in a bowl and brush it on dry with a soft artist's brush, then take a paper towel and smooth it/brush off excess.

modthyrth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
modthyrth Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:07am
post #3 of 4

It depends on the effect you're after. If you're after a solid glitter effect, the fondant object in question should be wet in some way ( I typically use vodka). You can dip small objects in the disco dust for instant coverage, like these mushrooms:

If you want just light overall coverage on a cake, the fondant need not be wet. Just sprinkle. My local cake decorating supply sells fabulous mini shakers that are absolutely perfect for applying disco dust. They're only 50 cents each, so I buy one for each color of disco dust I get. It applies the disco dust in a perfect, even coating, and I don't waste any by getting it stuck to my fingers.

I also use the shakers when I want a more intense coating on a larger element, like the rainbow in the background in this picture:
Image I simply set the object on clean wax paper, brush it with vodka, and use the shaker to keep adding even layers until it's as sparkly as I want it. After the item dries, I can pour the excess disco dust back in the shaker.

I have painted it on with a brush and vodka, but it's awkward and clumpy and doesn't work nearly as well as the shakers and dipping do.

sarahd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahd Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 5:57am
post #4 of 4

I am making ruby slippers for a Wizzard of Oz cake and I thought I might have to dampen the fondant but was not sure.
Thank you for your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%