Edible Image

Decorating By TheCakerator Updated 10 Nov 2008 , 5:26pm by TheCakerator

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:36pm
post #1 of 16

Ok so I am making a cake with edible images on it .. and I don't need the cake until Sunday, but I have a busy weekend ahead of me and would like to do it all today if possible... I am just wanting to know if I put edible images on my cake today, and leave in the fridge until Sunday, would they bleed or get ruined between today and Sunday? thanks for any help!

15 replies
TheCakerator Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 16

I know this is still near the top of the forums, but I am needing to make a run to wal mart to get my edible images and need to know if they will be alright once they are on the cake for a few days...

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:56pm
post #3 of 16

I would get them now and just apply them later if it worries you. Still won't take much time on Sunday. (of course keep them really wrapped until then)

TheCakerator Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 16

well I would, but I use a crusting recipe, and I know that the images should be applied to almost damp frosting .... right?

Rebeckydaniel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebeckydaniel Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 16

Do you have one of those water spray misters? Just spray your cake with a mist of water and this does the trick.

Hope this helps

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 16

I think if you close up the box really well (Maybe wrap it it plastic) it will not run. Think about how long those cakes can sit there at Safeway icon_smile.gif

TheCakerator Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 16

thanks you guys ... just got back from wal mart with my edible images .. had to call in a manager because I have NEVER paid tax on my edible images and get all of them from there, but today at the checkout they decided to charge me tax and they claim its done it all along but I know full well it has NEVER i repeat NEVER charged me tax .... after much discussion I walked out not paying tax on my edible images, with the managers promise to call me and tell me why today after so many images it's starting to charge tax on them. We will see ....

krambkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krambkakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 3:56am
post #8 of 16

I am curious what type of edible cake images do you find at walmart?

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:10am
post #9 of 16

Hey Cakerator, I know I'm late here, but I wanted to chime in that you should be fine since you're using buttercream on the cake, but Rebeckydaniel is 100% on the money, that's how I do it... let the cake crust, roll it, etc. then mist a fine mist of water and apply image. That works really well!

Also, I really just replied here so I could tell you that your kitty avatar is killing me. I LOOOOOVE cats (have a big, fat puffball curled up against my leg as I type this) and that is just giving me the giggles! What a sweet little Santy Claws!!

cakesbyshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyshell Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 12:57pm
post #10 of 16

I just wanted to chime in on the Walmart bit. I used to always buy my plastic cupcakes domes from our local Walmart bakery and the last time I went in, they gave me a song and dance about company policy not letting them sell them to me anymore unless I wanted to give a huge donation to their charity and still pay 3 times more than I used to pay. On the note of edible images, they wouldn't even sell me an image so I got disgusted and bought my own printer and ink!

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:00pm
post #11 of 16

Not sure if this is too late for you but I do lots of edible image cakes and I sometimes do them 2 days before delivery and the image are still fine. Once the cake is decorated, I place in cake box and in the fridge it goes. Never had any issues with the look of the image.

TheCakerator Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 16

Rebeckydaniel, thanks for letting me know about the water trick .. I went ahead and stuck them on while the icing was wet and haven't had any bleeing problems so far, but good to know for future reference!

Krambkakes, at our wal mart in the bakery you can take in pictures, as long as they are not copyrighted, and they will make it into an edible image for you ....

melvira, thanks so much for getting a kick out of my cat ... that was my little man named Cheddar, unfortunately that was his only Christmas with us, he was about 6 months old in that pic, and passed away from an unknown heart defect 6 months later .. I miss him very much and don't have the heart to take down his pic ...

cakesbyshell, I have never heard that before, but I wouldn't be surprised if they say something to me soon about it .. they are the only store in town willing to sell me anything these days ... I'm sure it won't be long til they stop ...

SScakes, thanks for letting me know! So far so good!

Melvira Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:05am
post #13 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCakerator

melvira, thanks so much for getting a kick out of my cat ... that was my little man named Cheddar, unfortunately that was his only Christmas with us, he was about 6 months old in that pic, and passed away from an unknown heart defect 6 months later .. I miss him very much and don't have the heart to take down his pic ...

Darn you... I was trying not to cry today and you went and ruined it. I know how you feel though. He looks like a real lover boy! Well, hopefully he's up there playing with my little girl!! thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 3:02am
post #14 of 16

well if up there he is anything like he was down here to his sisters, he's probably antagonizing her, not playing with her! icon_biggrin.gif But I'm sure their both happy, wherever they are ... I always tell my dh he's probably leaving his mark with some other family these days .... just one of those nine lives ya know .... thumbs_up.gif

Melvira Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:18pm
post #15 of 16

icon_biggrin.gif A real pill, was he? They're fun that way!

TheCakerator Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 5:26pm
post #16 of 16

to say the least! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%