Help Quick....edible Image Ripping

Decorating By chellebell70 Updated 8 Nov 2008 , 6:00pm by chellebell70

chellebell70 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellebell70 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:28am
post #1 of 11

Please help......I am trying to do a cake for tomorrow and the edible images I had made up are ripping as I'm trying to get them off the backing.

10 replies
chellebell70 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 4:59am
post #2 of 11

I must say I was surprised no one had any help or suggestions.....

I figured out a way. I gently slid an offset cake knife between the paper and the image until I had it completely off the paper.

Hopes this helps someone else someday!

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 5:23am
post #3 of 11

Sorry no one had any suggestions. icon_sad.gif

Anyway, I could have only offered this second hand advice I have read on here....some people say to stick the image in the freezer for a couple of minutes to firm it up before you try to remove it from the backing.

Maybe that and the knife/spatula would make it even easier next time. icon_smile.gif

Kim

chellebell70 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 6:27am
post #4 of 11

Thanks! It wasn't one of the FBCT . It was one of those edible images they had printed from a cake shop in town. I hae used them before without trouble but these just didn't want to come off that paper backing this time. Have to work tomorrow. Don't have time to get another one printed and on the cake befor my Brother in Law needs to pick it up. So I managed to save one of the two. Hope they are not toooooo disappointed. Live and learn .....................

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 11

I'm pretty sure I read about freezing an edible image to help remove it, but then again...they might have said to put it in the refrigerator. I know they are usually applied at room temperature, but this was for when you couldn't peel it from the paper....

The only time I used an edible image I bought it from a bakery and it seemed to be very thick and pliable, extremely easy to work with. I printed out a bunch of little skateboard logos (on my skateboard cake in my pics) and cut them out individually and they did great. Anyway, glad you bought two and got one to work.

I am thinking about buying a new printer and all the suppies to print mine at home, but I am concerned about issues like yours and of course the cost. It would be fun though to see what I could come up with on the computer and put on a cake... icon_biggrin.gif

Kim

BREN28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BREN28 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 11

they are right about putting it in the freezer. i use the frosting sheets also and at first had problems with them tearing when trying to take them off the backing. just put it in the freezer for a few minutes,and they should peel off alot easier.

BlueRoseCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRoseCakes Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:41pm
post #7 of 11

I use edible images all the time and I ALWAYS freeze them first. They pop right off the backing and you (usually, dpends on how warm the room is) have a little extra time to handle them while making sure they're in the right place before placing them on the cake. I've often had issues with them ripping/tearing/stretching while I'm trying to hold on to them and get them onto the cake, and freezing first helps a ton!

The only problem I've ever had was during the summer when we weren't able to run the A/C. Humidity was really high, and I got water spots on the images, though that could have been partly because I kept refreezing them. I should know better than to decorate without the A/C on. That cake should have been simple but turned into a nightmare. Graduation cake, 13 first day of school pics, one for each year, and 1 senior pic, all individual images and A/C not working. It was so warm the images would soften the second I took them back out of the freezer. It took several tries, in and out of the freezer to get the images off the backing. I told my hubby, next time no A/C = no cake!

lalalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalalady Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 11

Hello I am in England and have ruined so many edible images, trying to get them off the backing sheet that I now print my images onto rice paper or I think it may be called wafer paper in America. Mist the cake with water, wait for it to go tacky and attach your image. A lot less stressful and a lot cheaper too

Sue icon_biggrin.gif

MAGGISMITH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAGGISMITH Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:33pm
post #9 of 11

Can you use rice paper in your printer? I have a canon printer with edible ink cartridges.

MAGGISMITH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAGGISMITH Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:33pm
post #10 of 11

Can you use rice paper in your printer? I have a canon printer with edible ink cartridges.

chellebell70 Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 6:00pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks, I will try the freezer trick next time. I also thought about the humidity becasue it was raining and I thought that may have added to my troubles. Totally with ya on the "what was supposed to be a simple cake"....This should have been the easiest thing ever and I had to stress about it. There was going to be at least 2 other cakes at this retirement party and I wanted my cake to look the best it could ....I knew it would taste good....and I also didn't want to let my brother-in-law down - which is the one who aske me to make the cake in the first place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%