Attaching Fondant To Rice Krispie Treat Figures????

Decorating By Burningbeard Updated 9 Nov 2008 , 2:19pm by dessert1st

Burningbeard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Burningbeard Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:01pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a birthday cake for my son and i have made dinosaurs out of Rice krispie treats. I wanted the 3d effect and as usual I went bigger and more complicated than I should have. Its been about 3 years since I have done any cakes and I am re-learning everything. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

10 replies
mmljztaa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmljztaa7 Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 11

i made a dinosaur cake and for the head and legs and tail i used rice crispies and chocolate and moulded it into shape straight after mixing with the melted chocolate, once it had set i then covered the bits with sugarpaste/fondent, the fondent stuck to the rice crispies really easy no problem and needed no additional ingrediants.

i was wondering if i could melt down mars bars and use that to coat the rice crispies in as something different, haven't tried it yet but will do.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 11:16pm
post #3 of 11

Can you just crumbcoat the RKT? Just a thought as I haven't actually tried making figures out of RKT.

Burningbeard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Burningbeard Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:30am
post #4 of 11

I am going to give it a shot both ways and see what works thank you both for the help

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 12:29pm
post #5 of 11

the only rice crispie treat I have covered in fondant was the neck to a guitar cake that I made about a month ago. I "crumb coated" the rice crispie treat neck and the fondant was smooth and stuck nicely.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 11

I made a cottage out of RKT and just used a very thin coat of bc; the fondant stuck just fine! I wanted the bumpy texture of the RKT to show through, which is why I went so thin, but really, it didn't show anyway. I just wouldn't overload it.

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:38am
post #7 of 11

Hmmm, I made a large Eagle head out of Rice Krispies that I covered in fondant. I put the fondant directly on the RK. I never even thought about a crumbcoat. The only change I made was that I didn't use butter in my RKT, just water & marshmallows. (I did add a little butter flavoring just in case someone "wanted" to eat it but I didn't let them anyway). I omitted the butter just to be sure that the fondant would stick - a tip I learned here. icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:14pm
post #8 of 11

We just read an article where the cake decorator used RKT. She had used buttercream to crumb coat the RKT and then put the fondant on top of the buttercream.

Paul & Peter

dessert1st Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 11:15pm
post #9 of 11

Hmmm, I made a large Eagle head out of Rice Krispies that I covered in fondant. I put the fondant directly on the RK. I never even thought about a crumbcoat. The only change I made was that I didn't use butter in my RKT, just water & marshmallows. (I did add a little butter flavoring just in case someone "wanted" to eat it but I didn't let them anyway). I omitted the butter just to be sure that the fondant would stick - a tip I learned here. icon_smile.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 1:12pm
post #10 of 11

Wow dessert1st -- I never knew that you could just leave the butter out when making RKT and that it would stick! That's a great tip! Thanks for sharing!

dessert1st Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 11

Cylstrial, It worked great. I did need to keep spraying my hands with cooking spray so I didn't stick to the RKT while forming my shape. The Fondant stuck just fine with a little pressue. I was making layers of Eagle feathers, so the bumps of the RKT didn't matter because the next feather layed over it. I think the Buttercream coating that some use would be more for the purpose of a smooth finish to the fondant, rather than it being the "glue".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%