Belt Driven Mixer?

Business By jillmakescakes Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 6:10pm by Jeannem

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 2:56am
post #1 of 7

I'm looking at a used mixer, but it is belt driven. Can anyone tell me if this is good, bad or indifferent. The only research I can find is that it might be lower maintenance because of the lack of gears.

Any info would be appreciated!!!

6 replies
Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:04am
post #2 of 7

Back in the days when I sold restaurant equip, a gear driven mixer was considered better quality and therefore more expensive. Hobart is gear driven--Univex belt driven. Both are serviceable--like buying a Buick versus a Cadilac.

jillmakescakes Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 3:11am
post #3 of 7

this one is a univex. 20 qt-- will it being belt driven mean that it won't hold up to thicker batters/icings?

Jeannem Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:49pm
post #4 of 7

We mostly sold Univex, and had very few problems. It should work great, but will depend a lot on the age of the machine and the volume you will use it.
A new Univex would cost around $3200 plus shipping.
They are located in New Hampshire, and have a toll free number 800-356-5614. Might be worth a call-- say you are thinking of buying a new machine, and see what they say.
HTH

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:57pm
post #5 of 7

I have a very old(over 50 year old) 20 qrt mixer. I bought it 10 years ago and my husband serviced it. I love my mixer. It has made thousands of pounds of cake and buttercream icing. It has also made large recipes of bread. This thing is a true workhorse. I would not sell it for no amount of money. Just to tell you a quick story, when I first opened I purchased a new mixer, over $2000. When I went to use it, it would not run, since it was under warrenty we did not want to mess with it. I was mad enough to spit nails. I had them pick it up and return my money. My husband found this old mixer for $300.00!, and it was the best investment we ever made. This mixer shifts gears like a car. It is also very very heavy. Good Luck

jillmakescakes Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 7

thank you again for all of the help. I won the auction on EBAY last night for $425 for a 20 qt Univex. The description says Good Working Condition. I plan on testing it when I pick it up. My hubby is also very handy and can probably service this for me if needed!! I'm so excited. I thought I'd have to shell out $3k for a new one. I'm also hitting a few local auctions of restaurant equipment next week. Wish me luck!

Jeannem Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 6:10pm
post #7 of 7

Wow-great price--especially since you don't have to pay to ship it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%