Filling Or Torting A Cake

Decorating By hilly Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 8:24pm by hilly

hilly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hilly Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 10

I just tried to tort a cake using pudding for the first time. The problem that I ran into was that once it was filled and stacked, I had a hard time icing the cake, the pudding kept seeping out each time I ran the spatula over the area where the pudding was. Even after I crumb coated, stuck it in the fridge for a bit and began again, it was still a problem.

I was thinking there might be some sort of dam method but haven't seen or read anything about it. Any ideas?

9 replies
jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 10

hi hilly. yes, making a dam will definitely help. here's what i do. i take some of my buttercream and mix it in a bowl with some added powdered sugar. i don't measure, but i mix in enough ps to make it like a play doh consistency. then i roll it in my hands to make little snakes, then put it around the edge of the cake. fill the cake, then put the top layer on. with your spatula, smooth the snakes into the top and bottom layers of the cake, then you can firm up in the fridge a little then frost. it helps with pretty much all runny fillings.

good luck!

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 10

When you are using fillings like pudding that move a lot, you need a dam. Take your icing and add powdered sugar to it until it is very, very thick. Pipe it in a circle around the cake layer, you can use just a coupler without a tip, and THEN fill the cake inside the little well you just made.

Personally, I don't dam cakes often because I use thicker fillings. Have you ever thought about making your own fillings? You can take just about any fruit and cook it down with water and corn starch.

terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 10

You need to use a dam with the puddings. You might also try and use a little less liquid when mixing the pudding, makes for a slightly stiffer, firmer filling.

And watch your store bought jams, they tend to be a bit runny. Like sayhellojana said, you might want to make your own and then you can control the consistency better.

If there is a cake supply shop near you, you might try the commercial raspberry or lemon filling. It is a bit firmer and taste really good. We have a cake shop that sells cake and cookie supplys and carry it in a 1# bag or a 5# tub. It hold forever and doesn't need to be refrigerated...

mommaroxy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommaroxy Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:03pm
post #5 of 10

Yup, you use a dam. You should use one when filling with anything~other than the buttercream of course. You use your piping bag with just the coupler on it and go around the outside of the cake with the buttercream, or whatever your gonna use as the crumb and final coating of icing. This holds the filling in and keeps it from doing exactly what you experienced. I have seen it done where there are two layers of the dam, one on top of the other, if you want a thicker layer of filling. Hope this helps. Im sure the cake tasted good anyway! Take Care and God Bless,

~Roxanne

hilly Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks so much everyone!! I'll definitely dam it next time! icon_smile.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:20pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly

As you were trying to ice this one I bet you dam*ed this one a few times to. I know I would've. LOLOL icon_biggrin.gif

Good Luck

Mike

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:07pm
post #8 of 10

lol @ Mike...

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 10:11pm
post #9 of 10

oh, now all i can think of is the national lampoon's vegas vacation movie, when they go on a tour of the hoover dam and ask dam questions after the dam tour and take dam pictures and buy dam souvenirs. icon_lol.gif

hilly Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 8:24pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilly

As you were trying to ice this one I bet you dam*ed this one a few times to. I know I would've. LOLOL icon_biggrin.gif

Good Luck

Mike

You're absolutely right!! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%