11X15 Cake Pan - Wilton's Vs. Fat Daddio's?

Decorating By Trixyinaz Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 1:01pm by Trixyinaz

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:55pm
post #1 of 12

Is one better than the other? I'm needing to purchase one and have no idea which one is better. What do you use? Are the sides straight on the Wilton ones? It always looks like the sides of the Wilton square and rectangle pans are at an angle (not straight). I've only bought Wilton, but am willing to "upgrade" if there is a big differecne in quality. Suggestions?

11 replies
UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 12

I just purchased a Wilton 11X15 for a few cakes I have due next week. Haven't used it yet. I'll let you know how it turns out. Should be fine with Wilton though. HTH

Getus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Getus Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:17pm
post #3 of 12

I purchased the Wilton 11x15 (that's all that's available locally).
I used it last week and my cake turned out fine; nice straight sides. I am pleased with the pan. HTH. thumbs_up.gif

SHogg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHogg Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 12

I have both pans. And although there was nothing wrong with the way the Wilton pan turned out, I prefer the Fat Daddios. It can hold more batter and it produces nice sharp corners.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 12

The actual corners on the Wilton pans are curved. The Fat Daddio's are more of a sharp corner.

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 12

Wow! Thanks! I appreciate all that took the time to answer my question. I think I'm going to go with the Fat Daddio's....the sharp corners is what SOLD me. Thanks!

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 12

I've found that the pans compare as follows:

Wilton: curved corners, sloped sides. Slightly easier to get cake out, perhaps, because of angled sides.
FD: small curve, straight sides. Best baked at lower temperatures.
ML: perfect square corners, straight sides. I had far fewer crumbs with ML as well.

I just finished a recent order with my Wilton 11 x 15s, and after working with straight-sided pans for a while (doing wedding cakes), I saw how "crooked" the sides were. When I first started baking, I didn't mind as much, but I do see now how the straight sides and corners really do make a difference in time spent smoothing the icing, etc.

I'm planning to upgrade to all MLs, since they can be baked at the same temperature, and I like that they are made in the US. I think many CC people shared that FD do better at lower temps, and many people like them as well.

PS: Please, CC members, realize I am just trying to share what I've generally found through comparing all 3 pans myself -- these are my opinions only. Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 12

And this is my opinion. I have an assortment of FD, Lagic Line and Wilton pans. The Magic Line as SO superior there's no comparison. Because the FD pans require special handling for best results, they cause me a lot of problems. I need to be able to grab a pan load it up and throw it in the same ovens with other pans. With FD, I have to heat up a separate oven.

kellymarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellymarie Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 12

I have begun to think the reason wilton pans have angled edges because cakes naturally pull away from the sides at the top, so it compensates... Some of my straight edge pans ( aslo wilton i think) become harder to stack because when the edges pull away, it leaves them uneven....

i would think for a sheet cake, it wouldn't be a huge issue though, but that's my experience!

hth

Trixyinaz Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:49pm
post #10 of 12

OK.....I'll need to rethink this. I'll have to see if my supply store carries ML's and then I'll compare all three lines. I don't want too have to deal with tempermental pans and special handing so that is a big negative for FD pans.

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:34am
post #11 of 12

Hi Trixyinaz,

When I first started making cakes, I purchased two 8 inch round Wilton Pans and they worked okay. But, when I went to purchase my other sizes/shaped pans I decided to upgrade to the Magic Line and was very happy with the choice. I found the corners to be sharper and the sides of my cakes baked a lighter color, that required less frosting to cover.

I've been baking with them for a year and wouldn't trade them for anything.

Tammy

Trixyinaz Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 1:01pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks Tammy! I see you are in Glendale. I grew up out there and just (well, 8 years ago) moved to MI. I'll have to PM you and chat about good ol' AZ.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%