How Long Do Decorated Cookies Last?

Baking By laje14 Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 9:50pm by TooMuchCake

laje14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laje14 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 6

I am planning on making Thanksgiving cookies for a school bake sale next week. I will be decorating them with fondant and royal icing. How long will they last if they are in plastic baggies. Will they make it to Thanksgiving?

5 replies
shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:15pm
post #2 of 6

laje14, here's a recent thread on this very subject
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-609108.html

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 6

For the Holidays I do huge orders of cookies so I bake the cookies and decorate and then freeze them. If they have fondant on them I'm not sure I would freeze them though. I use royal icing.

Cookies placed in a sealed container or wrapped should last up to 2 weeks and I freeze mine for up to 1 month.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 6

I had a few extra cookies leftover that I made for a wedding & they were decorated with fondant. I decided to put them into the freezer for a test. I let them sit in there for over two months before I pulled them out (To be honest, I forgot about them!). When I finally did, they looked just as perfect as they did on the day I put them in there. I don't know how they tasted though because after that I put them on display in my shop. However, I can say that they have been on display now for several months and look just fine. So, looks-wise I think you are safe, however as mentioned, I'm not sure about the taste.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 6

Fondant is fine in the freezer. When you take them out, make sure they aren't touching each other as the condensation develops. It will dry within 2 hrs. If your area is humid or it's been raining, you may need to use a blow dryer, but it works in an instant.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 6

The longest I've let a decorated (royal icing) cookie sit out and then ate it was three weeks. I use a similar recipe to the NFSC. We let the cookies sit out uncovered on purpose just to see how long they lasted, and while they did not taste brand-new, they surprisingly didn't taste very stale, either. I wouldn't do that for a customer, but it sure did give me peace of mind when I have to make cookies up several days in advance.

Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%