Sugar Is Turning Yellow

Sugar Work By mandy711 Updated 5 Nov 2008 , 1:48am by PJ219

mandy711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandy711 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:39pm
post #1 of 5

ok....i am trying to make ice out of sugar. I am using equal parts of light corn syrup and sugar. I was told it has to be cooked to 300 degrees in order to harden.....no matter what I do it turns yellow...... icon_mad.gif what do i do? Why cant I get it to be clear??? Please HELP!!! icon_cry.gif

4 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 10:58pm
post #2 of 5

icon_sad.gif Thought I could help, but I have no clue. (Deleted my post where I guessed! icon_lol.gif)

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 5

Carryover heat. If you are waiting for the thermomterto hit 300, you are likely cooking the sugar to 320 when it is beginning to caramelize. Add 1 Tbs water and pull the mixture when you hit 285. The latent heat will do the rest.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 5

I've seen a ton of posts not just here but all over the net of people trying to get a perfecty clear sugar for "ice cubes" hven't seen it done'

PJ219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ219 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 1:48am
post #5 of 5

I have been making lots of hard candy lately and Txkat is correct. I pull off of the heat when the temp reaches 285 F. The carry over heat will cause the temp to raise. Also, when starting the process, after the sugar is dissolved, I cover with a lid and set timer for two minutes. This does two things. First the steam keeps the sides of the pan washed down and it gives a head start on getting the mixture to your 285 F quicker. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%