Na Na Na Na Na Naaaa I Went To Another Auction

Business By Cakenicing4u Updated 6 Nov 2008 , 4:11pm by cakedout

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:27pm
post #1 of 15

And say what you will about me, but today I spent $7 and got a microwave and four baking racks with a handful of trays... they're older, kinda ugly, but hey for SEVEN dollars, who's going to complain about the looks?? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Oh ya, and I got a Blodgett oven for $250. icon_razz.gificon_twisted.gificon_lol.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif

It had sold in the auction for $370 and the lady that bought it bought a second oven, so sold me the blodgett for $250... she still had to pay the 370 for it... LOL thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Now I know you hate me..... but be nice!

thumbs_up.gif

14 replies
countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 15

icon_razz.gifthumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gificon_twisted.gif I hate you...but in a good way, 'kay?! icon_biggrin.gificon_razz.gif What a haul........AGAIN.......rofl.........
You did good.........AGAIN!!!!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:16am
post #3 of 15

I soooooooo hate you right now. Just kidding ...maybe.

Congrats on the great deals yet again, you've got the touch. icon_wink.gif

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:36am
post #4 of 15

Where in the heck do you find these auctions?? Maybe I should read the classifieds in the paper more often!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 3:39am
post #5 of 15

I hated you the first time too! LOL so where do you fine the info for the auctions? I can have my own place once I convert the garage so i'll need it.
Good job on the hauls icon_smile.gif

Cakenicing4u Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 1:42pm
post #6 of 15

www.auctionzip.com It's a site i saw in here a while ago and now i'm hooked!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:03pm
post #7 of 15

That is a great website! One quick question though -- do you just go to any auction? Or is there a particular type of auction you specifically go to, to get cake stuff? Like estate, or business, etc.

Cakenicing4u Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 2:14pm
post #8 of 15

restaurant equipment... one was a supply house that went out of business and this one was a cafe that went out of business and other misc. food service pieces. I didn't see as many things at this auction that I wanted as I did at the last, and prices on some things like stainless steel tables were ridiculous... but apparently nobody was opening a bakery this week... LOL.

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 15

cakenicing, thanks for the link it's awesome

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 3:46pm
post #10 of 15

Another congratulations to you on an excellent find!

So when is the shop opening? I'm dying to come down to PA and play the froggie game! icon_wink.gif

cylstrial Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 5:40pm
post #11 of 15

That's awesome! Thank you so much for sharing your secret! I can't wait to go check out an auction!!

Cakenicing4u Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 8:30pm
post #12 of 15

ha ha.. the worst part of the auctions is not knowing if everything will work once it gets turned on!! the mixer was hard-wired with its last owner, so that has to be fixed first, and the oven is a huge three phase plug, and since I don't have one of those handy, it's going to have to wait too--- but hey, even if I spend 1G on repairs and parts for those, I'm still saving a ton of money!

Good Luck!!

cylstrial Posted 5 Nov 2008 , 11:28pm
post #13 of 15

I'm so glad you told me that! I never would have thought about it. Thanks again for helping! If you think of any other tidbits for newbies at auctions.. let me know!

Cakenicing4u Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 5:50am
post #14 of 15

Tips--- gained from auction experience... I don't pretend to be a pro, just awful successful from practice!

1- Take a pen and paper... and write down what you want, and what you want to spend on it. Don't deviate unless you save on a prior item... So, I wanted an oven at the last auction and was prepared to spend $500. I wanted some of the bakery racks planned $10 each since they were old. After that, I only bid on something NON-essential ONLY if it's down to $1. So the microwave for me counted as a non-essential item, but for $1 who cares? If you save enough on the first few things, or you back out of the bidding, you might want to spend a little extra on the bigger things. As I said to my friend, EYES ON THE PRIZE. Ovens and mixers are ESSENTIAL items to a baker. Pretty maple tables are not-- they're nice, but just not essential when stainless steel tables are cheaper!! Money saved on tables becomes more money for mixers and ovens....

2- Don't be the first one to bid until it gets down to $1. Don't start it at five because that's what you're willing to pay-- let it drop to $1. it might get up to five, but it may stop at three, not spiral up to $10. Beware of when the auctioneer says BY THE PIECE... that means if it's 20 trays and it's $5 each you just spent $100.... Wait for 'By the lot' which is the whole stack for one money-- like $60 for all 20!

3- KNOW YOUR PRICES! I saw bakery trays sell for $10 EACH in an auction and my friend kept nudging me. HA! I said, in some catalogs they are only $8 each new... so don't pay more than what the catalogs sell it for! I got my USED trays for $3 each!

4- Take a drink and a snack, and leave the kids at home (or bring Ipods and things to keep them occupied for hours!!) The auctions I have been at do not have intermissions, and they are fast paced... so you have to pay attention and you don't want to pay concession stand prices.

5- LISTEN to what other people say!! If you're eyeing up a big piece of equipment and you see other people doing the same, wander close to them and listen to what they are saying-- you may find out it's a propane stove, not electric, or a three phase, not a one... or that the cafe that it was in always had trouble with it... I kid you not. People will talk about the stuff they see!! and people are NOSY! Don't disclose everything you are thinking about a piece, they could be plants to make the prices go up. Seriously!! Some auctions have people there that are there just to make the price go up.

6-- BE PREPARED TO TAKE IT HOME. That day. that afternoon.... The sooner the better!! So don't take the Prius and expect to bring home the stuff you bought. Bring a friend with a truck or a mini van with no seats.... or like me, the friend with a clean horse trailer!! I put the gas in his car for the trip and he lets me abuse him loading and unloading the trailer.... and plan on where you're going to keep it too!! After the first auction I had this "oh *&% where am i going to go with all this stuff look on my face... icon_surprised.gif and was going to try and find a storage unit... and then i called my sister and she's letting me take over her garage... SOME auctions will let you leave it there for a day or two while you get your stuff together... tell them when you plan to come back, and leave a note on the stuff you;re leaving behind so that they know what the plan is... LOL... today I drove home with a bakery rack strapped to the roof rack on my minivan!!

If I think of more, I'll post more later... but these are the basics I use...
Happy hunting!

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 6 Nov 2008 , 4:11pm
post #15 of 15

Oh man! the green monster is out today! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Hey- that is absolutely the best auction advice! Thanks so much! I can use that advice when seeking out any auction item-not just cake stuff!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%