Cake Divider Question

Decorating By flayvurdfun Updated 13 Apr 2011 , 1:06pm by KDSteach

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 9:32am
post #1 of 5

OK, I have never used the divider set that is now a request for a wedding cake for September 09 and I have a question for anyone that may have used it.

The "Crystal Clear Cake Divider set" is the divider that I'm talking about.

I can see that the plate's bottom holds onto the top of the twist legs and the other half of the twist legs go into the cake itself instead of using dowel rods. but how in the heck does it help stack the cake when it doesn't hook to the other plate under the cake? Wouldn't the cake wobble or something? I know it's a stupid question, but I have never used that one before.

Thanks in advance!

Oh in case it helps the cake they want is the cake on page 87 of the 2006 Yearbook.

4 replies
taxnerd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taxnerd Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 12:44am
post #2 of 5

I used this divider set for my brother in law's wedding cake several years ago. They are not as sturdy as other types of dividers, but they should be OK as long as you transport the cake unassembled and give strict instructions that the cake is not to be moved after it is set up. It may also depend upon how heavy your cake is. If it's going to be very heavy, you may want to try to talk them into different pillars. There are some crystal look pillars that can be used with the regular separator plates and dowel rods.

booger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
booger Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:38am
post #3 of 5

I'd be interested in knowing which ones you are talking about.... I too have a cake to do using those... I'm kind of worried about them too.... I just don't understand how any of those push pillars and others work...I've always just had to put them on the table or on a cake stand with three or four platforms...

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 4 Nov 2008 , 7:48am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxnerd

They are not as sturdy as other types of dividers, but they should be OK as long as you transport the cake unassembled and give strict instructions that the cake is not to be moved after it is set up. It may also depend upon how heavy your cake is. If it's going to be very heavy, you may want to try to talk them into different pillars. There are some crystal look pillars that can be used with the regular separator plates and dowel rods.

Thank you so much! I'm worried about that too... I know the wedding cake I did in August was kind of heavy but I wasn't worried about it falling because I used a cake stand. I loved the look, now I love the look of that cake too but was wondering exactly what to do about the pillars. I've been lucky not having to use pillars I guess... I'm just terrified about the pillars and using them...

KDSteach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KDSteach Posted 13 Apr 2011 , 1:06pm
post #5 of 5

I was wondering the same thing. I can't see that it is sturdy if the legs are not attached to both plates. I have a client that hates the stand I have and wants me to stack with Styrofoam blocks covered in ribbon. This is what I usually do and it seems to be as safe as these. I will also say that since cakes covered in fondant are extremely heavy, the thick cake boards are able to hold up to the weight.

If anyone has any more advice, I would appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%