I Need Help With Coloring Icing!

Decorating By kcmarie Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 11:29pm by kcmarie

kcmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcmarie Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 3:12am
post #1 of 6

I'm having trouble with coloring my icing. For some reason, when I need darker colored icing, the color starts separating and the icing looks blotchy. Is this because of the consistency of the icing? Is there a trick to coloring icing? I noticed on my last cake, the icing started to get a little foamy. This is not the first time and I'm using the wilton class recipe icing. Any suggestions would be helpful!

5 replies
staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:48am
post #2 of 6

are you using the buttercream recipe?

are you using wilton gel paste colours?

kcmarie Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 6

Yes I'm using both. Maybe I'm not blending my icing well enough. I don't know. It's only happening when I have to use more color to get darker results. I mixed and colored icing the other day and it sat for a few hours before I used it. Maybe that's problem?

Has anyone tried using colored piping gel instead of icing to draw pictures on their cake? It seems like it would be easier but I've never done it.

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmarie

Yes I'm using both. Maybe I'm not blending my icing well enough. I don't know. It's only happening when I have to use more color to get darker results. I mixed and colored icing the other day and it sat for a few hours before I used it. Maybe that's problem?

did you cover the bowl with a moist kitchen towel or with cling wrap whilst you allowed the buttercrem to sit? maybe the buttercream started to crust.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 6

I have this problem when making dark colors as well. I have fixed it by adding some cornstratch to the buttercream when I am mixing the color. I don't just have the problem with Wilton colors but also Amiercolors when doing really deep colors.

One of the best things you can do when you need dark colors is plan ahead and make your icing the night before. It won't tkae as much icing color because it will deepen up as it sits.

Of course saying that I'm a last minute girl and never think ahead about that. icon_smile.gif So hense the cornstrach.

kcmarie Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully I can improve on this.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%