Cream Cheese Frosting Cracks When Cake Is Moved???

Decorating By pnnllj Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 1:19am by pnnllj

pnnllj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pnnllj Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 11:22pm
post #1 of 5

I don't know why my cream cheese frosting cracks when I move the finished cake...any ideas how I can fix this??? Thanks so much!

4 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:43am
post #2 of 5

My first thought is your cardboard the cake is sitting on isn't strong enough for the cake. How big is the cake? How many cardboards are you using?

pnnllj Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 12:53am
post #3 of 5

It was carrot cake (pretty heavy) on one cardboard. Should I put it directly on the plastic seperator plate?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:02am
post #4 of 5

I would still put it on a cardboard and then put it on the plastic plate. Simply because if you are leaving the cake with someone, it's easy to remove the cake on the cardboard and take your plate back with you. Plus when you cut it, the cardboard helps to protect your plate.

If not using a plastic plate, I tend to use 2 cardboards for 8 and 10" cake .... and 3 cardboards for 12" and larger cakes. One thing I learned here on CC ... when using multiple boards, turn the cardboards so the "grain" of the cardboards run in different directions ... that helps them be 'stronger'.

pnnllj Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:19am
post #5 of 5

I never would have thought to use more than one cardboard, thanks!!! I'll certainly try it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%