Penguins

Decorating By dolphinhunt Updated 3 Nov 2008 , 1:33am by cylstrial

dolphinhunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphinhunt Posted 1 Nov 2008 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 10

Ok...here goes... I am wanting to make penguins out of fondant but am not sure how to accomplish this. I've not worked with fondant much so i'm defiantly a beginner with it. I've seen so many cute cakes with penguins on them. Can anyone help me?
THanks

9 replies
BabyBear3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabyBear3 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 1:37am
post #2 of 10

if you have this past years wilton year book, there were some penguins for a cake in there!

dolphinhunt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphinhunt Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 10:16am
post #3 of 10

Those penguins are not for a cake they are made out of olives and i don't think that would be appropriate for cake

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 10:39am
post #4 of 10

I googled how to make penguins out of fondant and this is the only thing i found from familyfun.com

"For penguins, roll black ball for head, and white cylinder shape for body. Use a small leaf cookie cutter for the wings, and oval shapes for the feet. Orange triangle shape for the beak, and small flattened circles for eyes."

Hope this helps. Good Luck

anna07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anna07 Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 10:40am
post #5 of 10

Hi.. i am just in the process of making my daughters birthday cake... penguin theme. And i am definately a beginner. There are links that i looked at that i got from this website on step by step instructions on how to make them.
Although some say to use gumpaste as it sets harder.. i couldn't get my hands on any and have made them out of fondant. They're turning out ok actually.
The link is:
http://www.imaginativeicing.co.uk/models/

However.. i did black face and white body for the penguins

The other link i can't seem to find but its here on this website somewhere.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 10:42am
post #6 of 10

I also found on mycakes.com someone wrote:

"Each penguin starts as a black ball, gently rolled to shape. Eyes are a heart-shaped white cutout, with black straw-cut tiny pupils. Noses are little tiny dark orange cones. Belly is a white ellipse. Wings/flippers are two leaf-shaped side cutouts from a circle. Feet are also a heart-shaped cutout, in pale orange. Then hats, scarves and earmuffs are just pure fondant fun! I prepped everything first, then just used egg whites to glue the pieces together â line production rules! When deconstructed like this, anyone can make a little cute penguin!"

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 11:07am
post #7 of 10

another penguin tutorial . . . http://www.mycraftspage.com/e-Book/Tutorials/Penguin/penguinTutWeb.html . . . and don't forget to include some doing their famous belly slide (my personal favorite icon_lol.gif ) . . . http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=52758

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 11:43am
post #8 of 10

The book "Polymer Clay Characters" by Annie Lang has directions for making a penguin. I purchased the book at Michaels. If you want to give me your e-mail address I can scan the directions to you.

SaraClassic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraClassic Posted 2 Nov 2008 , 12:02pm
post #9 of 10

Hello, Cupcake book has a cute penguin CCake idea if you wanted him as a topper. Just an easier, more edible idea too.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 3 Nov 2008 , 1:33am
post #10 of 10

I loved the tutorial that Anna posted. It looks great! Thanks for sharing!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%