Fondadnt Covered Board And Stretchy Fondant

Decorating By kentuckyjode Updated 31 Oct 2008 , 6:57pm by Sweetcakes23

kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 5

Can I place a cake directly on a fondant c0vered board without a cardboard under the cake? Also, Satin Ice seems very strectchy and gets too stretchy when lifted...any suggestions?

4 replies
kentuckyjode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kentuckyjode Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 5

Come on!!!!Surely someone out there can help!!!!!!!!!!Please..!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:41pm
post #3 of 5

Yes, you can put the cake directly on the fondant covered board---but I wouldn't. The board under the tier makes it easier to move around, etc. Also, the fondant under the cake will get sticky (nasty) and will come up with the cut cake. It just wouldn't be my choice, personally.

As for the stretchiness of SI, I combat that by adding in 1/3 Wilton. You get a firmer fondant that works well without sacrificing taste or texture.

HTH
Rae

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:54pm
post #4 of 5

I have put it directly on the fondant but it gets really messy when cutting the cake....but it doesn't hurt it! HTH!!!

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 31 Oct 2008 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 5

I also find that covering the whole board is not only costly but causes more wrinkles, puffiness etc. that just doesn't look neat.
I have gone to putting the cake/board onto the cake base/board, then cutting and rolling up a "border" of fondant and unrolling it "around" the edge of the cake works much better. (Like in SugarShacks video?)

I just use my fondant smoother to ease it into the cake edge and it goes on much neater. (I put down a bit of piping gel first on the board edge to make it adhere).
I hope thats clear!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%