Help! My Mmf Is Dried Out!

Decorating By ban26ana Updated 30 Oct 2008 , 5:04pm by MacsMom

ban26ana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ban26ana Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 8

I made MMF yesterday and saran wrapped it like usual. When I made it, I thought it was a little too dry. I added some marshmallow and it seemed okay. Not perfect, but okay. Today I went to use it and it's completely dry and crumbling. I microwaved it, and it's not softening at all. Is there anything I can do to salvage this?

7 replies
Meemawfish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Meemawfish Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:01pm
post #2 of 8

I would add a small amount of shortening and see if that would help. icon_biggrin.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:02pm
post #3 of 8

I would toss it. When it drys out, you get hard little peices throughout. Make another batch.

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 8

try adding some crisco (shortening) to it. I usually apply a thin layer of crisco around it before I wrap it. Helps keep it moist. Hope that works! thumbs_up.gif

melvin01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melvin01 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 8

Do the shortening and I'd attempt to nuke it for a few seconds before I would toss it out.

Do make sure that it doesn't have any of the hard lumps in it, though. Bad time rolling it out.

If warming it in the microwave doesn't help, you will probably have to make another batch.

*be careful because sometimes the inside gets hot/melty and if you try to kneed it it may burn you. Don't microwave for too long, just short 8-10 second intervals.

ban26ana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ban26ana Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks. I do put Crisco on before I saran wrap it. I think I just added too much powdered sugar. Nothing's working. I'm just going to toss it. icon_sad.gif

cakebaker1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1978 Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 8

Awe, bummer. Well, at least you know now that your next batch will be fabulous and you don't have to worry about anything! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 30 Oct 2008 , 5:04pm
post #8 of 8

It's easier to make a new batch than to remedy this one.

Be sure not to melt the MMs too long (1 min should be plenty as they continue to melt as you stir) and be sure that is a 16 oz bag of MMs as opposed to a 10 oz bag. I add 1 tablespoon of glycerine to the melted MMs (you can substutue corn syrup).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%